Can Liposuction Work for Malar Bags?

Is it possible to do liposuction with a microneedle on the malar bags from outside and remove the fat that way? I am male, 33, and always had the bags at the top of the cheekbone (they are not eyelid bags).

Malar Bags: surgery or no surgery?

+2

Hello Aesthetics,

Malar bags are swollen areas often considered delicate for liposuction with commendable results.

Without photographs and physical evaluation, it is hard to adopt an aesthetic procedure out of many (surgical or non-surgical); the nature and the level of prominence of the malar bags are important factors.

A consultation with an experienced surgeon will offer the candidate a well rounded background to come up with an educated decision.

Best of Luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Malar bags

+1
Generally a cheek lift is better suited to addressing malar bags. However, you should see a board certified plastic surgeon for specific advice regarding your situation. It is difficult to assess your concern without photos or more information.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Malar bags

+1

Malar bags in the lower eyelids occur because the septum holding the fat surrounding the eye becomes weakened.  This area is not amenable to liposuction.  Visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to have a treatment plan designed just to meet your needs.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Malar bags

+1

Malar bags are not in my opinion fat excess but in fact edema. In some a steroid injection may reduce it ut never in my experience lipo.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Malar bags

+1

That depends on whether or not there is fat there amenable to liposuction. I have done it and it worked quite well. You can see the before and after photos that I uploaded to my realself profile.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Absolutely not

+1

you cannot liposuction malar bags. they are due to edema. i have excised the malar bags in older men/women with good results. 

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Malar bags

+1

Malar bags are usually due to edema similar to  feet swelling. They are not amenable to surgery and may even get worse.

Liposuction does not work for malar bags.

+1

Malar bags (just that you know this name means you understand they are not the same as "bags under the eyes") are not treatable with liposuction. This is a skin/swelling problem separate from the skin/fat problems that usually lead to lower eyelid lifts/tucks.  They seem to be more evident in smokers and those with low thyroid, but can occur in the absence of both.  Treatments include lasers and direct excision. 

James E. Chappell, MD