How do I Decide Between Liposuction With or Without Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I've had three (board certified PS) consults so far, and as many suggestions. I'd like another opinion. I'm 31, 5'2, and between 150-153 pounds. I've had three children, my last by C-section. I was told I have an umbilical hernia, but all 3 disagree on exactly how large it is. (My pain comes and goes, barely feel it weekly) I plan to get the hernia repaired first, but do I need lipo, a TT, or both? One PS said my skin is too tight for a TT, 2 others said I can get both the TT and lipo.

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Candidate for a TummyTuck after Pregnancy?

+2

Based on the photographs it appears that you have excess skin that would benefit from a tummy tuck.  Your umbilical hernia could be repaired at the same time as the tummy tuck. Some of the stretch marks in your lower abdomen would also be removed with the tummy tuck procedure.  I t is possible you may desire liposuction on your upper hips.

Washington Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction vs tummy tuck

+2

Hi there,

You have no chance of achieving a nice result from liposuction.  The problem is one of loose skin not an excess or local deposit of fat.  You might need a divarication repair as well.

Your anatomy suggests you should achieve a very nice result from abdominoplasty.  Ensure you choose a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for a consultation, and good luck.

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Lipo vs abdominoplasty

+2

Liposuction removes excess fat while abdominoplasty removes excess skin and repositions the muscles. You have too much skin,therfore you require an abdominoplasty. Liposuction with skin excess will result is more sagging.

Web reference: http://www.plasticsurg.org/plastic-surgery-chicago.html

Lipo versus Tummy Tuck

+2

Based on your photos, it looks like you would benefit most from an abdominoplasty / tummy tuck.  Liposuction will reduce the fat, but you have loose skin and stretch marks that only a tummy tuck can improve.

Good Luck.

Web reference: http://www.ShaferPlasticSurgery.com

Liposuction and abdominoplasty

+2
The photos demonstrated stretched abdominal skin with extra pinch. This suggests that you would do well with an abdominoplasty with or without liposuction. The umbilical hernia can be corrected at the same time as the abdominoplasty so there would be no reason to have this performed in stages.

TT

+2

Given your photos, you seem like a good candidate for a TT and lipo safely at the same time,  the hernia repair could be done simultaneiously with this procedure as well-the TT would get rid of your excess skin and lipo would take care of the density in the abdomen and the flanks. 

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

I think you are an excellent candidate for the tummy tuck procedure. The  umbilical hernia can be repaired at the same time (there is no reason to stage the procedures).

I would suggest you select your plastic surgeon carefully.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm

Liposuction vs tummy tuck

+1

I think you would achieve the best result from initial weight loss followed by a tummy tuck.  This combination should give you a very nice abdominal contour.  It would also remove most of your stretch marks.  Liposuction alone would decrease the fullness of your tummy, but would likely make the loose skin worse.  In addition, it would do nothing for your stretch marks.  Good luck. 

Tummy tuck and hernia repair after pregnancy

+1

For a good result, you will need a full tummy tuck with or without liposuction. this can be done at the same time as your hernia repair or after the hernia repair. I hope this helps.

Liposuction vs. Tummy Tuck

+1

Either liposuction or a tummy tuck can be done, but they will produce significantly different results. Liposuction would be the only choice if you do not want any scar at all. It will produce some mild improvement, but based on the way you are grabbing your abdominal skin, it will leave you less than happy afterwards. A scar is a good trade-off if you want a much more significant result that removes what you are grabbing. It is all about what kind of result you want for what you are willing to trade off into. (i.e., scar)

Web reference: http://www.eppleytummytuck.com/