Liposuction Vs. Tummy Tuck After Weight Loss?

I am a female, 5' 8" and I weigh 190 lbs. I have lost upwards of 80 lbs. In the last year and have been left with a still protruding stomach. Now, would liposuction or a tummy tuck be a better remedy for getting more of a flat appearance in my stomach as well as a smaller waist size?

Liposuction vs. tummy tuck

+2

Congrats on your weight loss.  Unfortunately, with that much weight loss, you most likely will need a tummy tuck.  Liposuction can help taper in the hips and flanks to complement the tummy tuck.  My office is only a few miles from you.  I would be happy to discuss your options in person.  Thank you.

Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction vs tummy tuck

+2

Liposuction alone will probably not give you the result that you desire.

The best option after this type of weight loss is probably tummy tuck with liposuction.

If you want to avoid the bigger surgery, you can expect skin tightening with SmartLipo, but the results are not the same as tummy tuck

Wichita Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction or tummy tuck after weight loss

+2

If your abdomen is still protruding, you might have internal abdominal fat yet to lose. Check to see if your abdomen is flat when you lay on your back. If the tummy is still prominent a tummy tuck alone will not keep things in check. Liopsuction is an excellent way to improve contour, though has a very poor track record for sustained weight loss, high volume or not.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/tummy-tuck

Tummy tuck is a better option post weight loss

+2

I would agree with the colleague that suggested combination of the liposuction and tummy tuck. You have done a great job by losing the 80 plus lbs. Liposuction will remove fat and you have done that already. 

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Which Procedure is Best?

+2

Dear B.B.  I would agree with most of what has already been said.  Without seeing your photos, I would venture to say you need both liposuction and a tummy tuck.  We use a laser to help soften the fat before liposuction.  I would also recommend Power-Assisted Liposuction because it will remove more fat in a precise manner with a higher degree of safety. 

Web reference: http://www.naturallookingresults.com

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Three Elements to Abdominal Contouring: Fat, Skin, and Muscle

+2

Choosing the best procedure for abdominal contouring requires evaluation of three elements: Is there too much fat under the skin; Is there too much (loose) skin; What is the condition of the abdominal muscles. Excess fat is best corrected with liposuction, excess skin with skin removal, and separation of the muscles (diastasis) with plication.

In most cases all three components are done at the same time with a full abdominoplasty (tummy tuck). After significant weight loss, the fat component may be less of an issue but still should be considered. Lastly, it is advisable to wait until your weight stabilizes prior to surgery to get the best, longest lasting result.

Tummy improvement after weight loss

+2
You haven't provided photos so it is difficult to assess your situation. Generally, after a significant weight loss, there is sagging of the skin and poor muscle tone, which would require an abdominoplasty. Liposuction can be used to supplement the procedure and address the bulges.

For tummy tuck versus liposuction, it is very difficult to give meaningful information without photos.

+2

It is very difficult to give meaningful information without photos. A face-to-face consultation is best.

To know what some of your options are, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery. I hope this helps.

Tummy Tuck More Beneficial Than Lipo After Weight Loss

+2

Without the benefit of photos or an exam, I feel that you would have a better result with a tummy tuck than liposuction after your 80 pound weight loss.  Liposuction will have little, if any, effect on the excess skin.  A tummy tuck will also allow your stretched out abdominal muscles to be tightened.

Tummy Tuck or Lipo After Weightloss

+2

Liposuction helps eliminate bulges of fat from various areas of the body with minimal scarring and quick recover times, which is, in part, what makes it such a popular procedure. While the changes in body contour can be quite dramatic after lipo, liposuction alone does not affect muscle tone or skin tone.

In general, without photos or a consultation, I can say that weight loss often tends to result in sagging or loose skin. A person with hanging skin or a separated rectus abdominis muscle would achieve better results from a tummy tuck.

The rectus abdominis muscle is the vertical muscle in the middle of your abdomen. It functions much the same as how shoe laces work in a shoe. Learn more at the web resource provided.

Web reference: http://www.cosmeticsurg.net/blog/2009/07/07/flat-stomach-more-exercise-or-a-tummy-tuck/