Can I Have Liposuction on Upper Abs After Port Has Been Inserted?

I intend having a tummy tuck in a few months, but my upper abdominal area sticks out & is still really fat. I would like to have some of the fat removed with liposuction so the loose skin can then be pulled down and tightened during the tummy tuck, leaving me with a more flattering shape. At the moment I feel if the tummy tuck is done without the liposuction I will still have a very rounded appearance.

Liposuction, before or after tummy tuck?

+2

its a great question. if I were to see treat a patient who was a good candidate for tummy tuck I would not do liposuction on her. its best to have the TT done, recover form it which might take a few months to a yr and then re-evaluate. if there is a need for liposuction it can be done later. I have done liposuction on patients who have had TT done before with very good results.  

+2

I think I would not do closed liposuction with the port and its tubing in place. It would be fairly easy to safely do open liposuction once the surgeon has the flap elevated during the TT and can better tell where the apparatus is.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Abdominoplasty vs. liposuction

+1

In your question you mention a port but then make no reference to it in the body of your post. You need to re-post with more detailed information in order to get anything close to a reliable specific reply. In general given the condition you describe most plastic surgeons would do upper abdominal liposuction at the same time as a tummy tuck if there are visible rolls of fat in the upper abdomen before surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Liposuction Before Tummy Tuck and What About My Port?

+1

There are a number of issues to address with your questions.  First, I would not perform liposuction around a Lap-Band port or any other type of port because of the risks of damaging the tubing attached to the port.  Even working with bariatric surgeons that I know well, there is always a risk that the port's tubing has shifted and can be damaged.  I would wait until the abdominoplasty and then perform liposuction with the port and tubing visible.

There are few reasons to have liposuction performed before your tummy tuck since both of these can be safely performed at the same time.  In the past, many plastic surgeons worried about performing liposuction with an abdominoplasty because of concerns about the flap's blood supply.  Numerous studies have demonstrated the safety of these combined procedures so there is no reason to have two separate surgeries.

Lastly, if you are having an abdominoplasty after Lap Band surgery, please wait until you have received clearance from your bariatric surgeon before proceeding.  If any question occurs, please have your plastic surgeon discuss your care with your bariatric surgeon.  Best of luck.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction can usually be combined with Abdominoplasty

+1

If you need liposuction of the upper abdomen this can be done at the same time as your TT. I suspect that the fullness may be more from laxity and bulging of the abdominal wall. In that case you probably wont need the lipo at all in that area.

I almost always do some liposuction at the time of the TT, but not usually in the upper abdominal area. The port will need special careful technique.

Good luck

Rodney A. Green, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and tummy tuck issues

+1

Sometimes a tummy tuck is done first and sometimes liposuction is done first.  It really depends upon the individual.

Liposuction before tummy tuck?

+1
If you intend to have a tummy tuck in a few months, liposuction should be deferred until either during the tuck or afterwards, depending on the area which may require treatment. If you are heavy and see the liposuction as a weight loss alternative, I would caution you that it is important to be at a reasonable weight preoperatively. Also, please understand that a tummy tuck can deal with problems both above and below the BB.

Robert L. Kraft, MD