Is Liposuction Typically Done in an Abdominoplasty?

Assuming that there is some excess fat in the abdomen and flanks, would one assume that an abdominoplasty includes lipo or is this an add-on to the surgery? Would the surgeon proactively discuss this with the patient prior to surgery?

Abdominoplasty and liposuction

+2

The need for abdominoplasty varies with body habitus.  Approximately 85% of my patients require liposuction along with a tummy tuck to achieve the best results.  I discuss this with all patients at length prior to any surgery.  To be safe, it is prudent for you to be proactive with regards to your desired procedure to achieve your best result.  Your efforts here and questions will help guide you to the best decisions. Good luck!

LIposuction Plus Abdominoplasty

+2

I find that liposuction helps me achieve a nicer balance to the hips, waist, and abdomen.  I will include lipo to the waist and abdomen (in limited amounts) as a part of my tummy tucks.  I will always  discuss beforehand any other areas I feel may add to the result for my patient, and diagram this out the week before surgery so we both know exactly what is being done.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Liposuction with tummy tuck

+2

Liposuction is often performed as a part of tummy tuck to smooth the transition into the hip and flank if needed. Though in the cosmetic surgery market place today, you may be confronted by additional costs. The rule is to ask questions until you fully understand a proposed procedure and risks, and also have a written understanding of all costs involved, including facility charges and anesthesia if any. Never assume, as a disappointment can be just around the corner.

peterejohnsonmd

Lipo and a tummy tuck

+1

Liposuction can be done in the flank region at the same time as a tummy tuck, but I always discuss this in advance.  It is not part of a standard tummy tuck.

Liposuction is usually combined with a tummy tuck for a nice result...

+1

Liposuction is usually combined with a tummy tuck for a nicer result.  When performing a tummy tuck at the same time, the liposuction of the abdomen cannot be too aggressive, but the combination of tummy tuck and liposuction of the flank area gives the patient a significant and symmetrical result. Your surgeon will decide which areas of liposuction would be necessary in addition to the abdominoplasty and most surgeons do proactively discuss these points with you.

Shain A. Cuber, MD
Edison Plastic Surgeon

Some Liposuction Usually Included in Abdominoplasty

+1

I typically perform some liposuction of the flanks at the time of a tummy tuck for which I do not charge additionally.  If there is a separate area being suctioned (hips, thighs, etc.), then there would be an addition charge.

John Whitt, MD

Liposuction Typically Done in an Abdominoplasty

+1

To answer the EXACT question - NO! But in most cases liposuction is discussed in the pre operative session. Thus if you want some lipo you need to ask. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091

Liposuction and tummy tuck

+1

Everything should be discussed prior to surgery.  There should be no surprises.  Many surgeons will use liposuction with tummy tucks to contour the hips, and some may even thin the abdominal wall.  It varies...but communication should not vary.

David A. Lickstein, MD

Liposuction is commonly performed with a tummy tuck

+1

Generally this is commonly performed with a tummy tuck but it can vary tremendously in terms of the amount to be removed and the time taken to perform this additional step. Having said that, fees wil vary according to the additional effort expended.

Assume nothing

+1
You needn't discuss everything with the surgeon way beforemthe surgery. Point out what you want. If the doctor does not discuss your problems, get another doctor.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD