Waiting Time for Liposuction After Tummy Tuck?

I had a full Tummy Tuck on March 16, 2009. While I am satified with the way my lower abdomen looks, I am not completely satified with the upper abdomen. I feel that my doctor could have done a little more Liposuction and contouring in this area. I am going to try and reduce the fat in this area through diet and exercise. If this does not work out, how long must I wait before I have the area Liposuctioned?

Tummy tuck liposuction

+2

It would be reasonable to have a second proceudure performed at this point. Usually any secondary surgery can be perfomed 6 months after the inital operation

Lipo + Tummy Tuck

+2

I suspect your doctor was being prudent in limiting the amount of liposuction done at the time of tummy tuck in an effort to avoid potential complications.  Personally, I like to wait about 6 months before performing more aggressive liposuction following tummy tuck.

Staged liposuction of abdomen after tummy tuck

+1

This is not at all uncommon and many would consider this excellent judgement on the part of your plastic surgeon.

Liposuction at the time of the tummy tuck could have compromised the blood supply to the lower abdomen and interfered with your wound healing.

I generally advise patients to wait a minimum of 4 months prior to considering second stage liposuction of the upper abdomen.