Measurements Unchanged After Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

I had Liposuction on my hips, thighs, and torso along with a Tummy Tuck about 8 months ago, and nothing changed after the first two months of the surgery as far as measurements of my body. I redid the Liposuction in my thighs, hips and upper torso three weeks ago. I am noticing no changes in my measurements from before the surgery, and now and I am extremely concerned that I will have the same problems as last time. I also have bruising only on some of my problem areas. Does this mean that only the area with bruising is the only area that was worked on? Thank you.

Change in size after liposuction and tummy tuck

+1

Changes in size can vary from patient to patient when it comes to liposuction and tummy tucks. It also depends upon how much liposuction was done and which areas you are measuring. I always tell patients that they may not change dress size or pants size, but the clothes may fill out differently.

Thighs get significantly smaller with liposuction.

+1

Hi.

I have no idea what happened to you. You do have to wait four months to see the final result of liposuction, but most of our patients in New York City see size reduction right away. Get another opinion.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Liposuction and Swelling

+1

It is common to have significant swelling after liposuction. It is very important that you wear a snug surgical garment after liposuction to control the normal swelling and fluid accumulation. I always weigh patients before and after Liposuction to see if they have gained weight or retained fluid. In either case, your measurements may not change or may even increase.

The location of bruising is not a good indicator of the treated areas. It is common to have bruising on one side and not the other side or only in one spot within a larger area of liposuction.

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Measurements may not change significantly

+1

Bruising may be a sign of internal trauma, but surgeons strive hard to reduce bruising, and with certain technique, can limit bruising significantly especially with post-operative compression foam pads.

Remember that liposuction and tummy tucks are contouring procedures and as such are visual enhancements. They should be performed to improve the visual shape of your body. Your measurement, weight, and clothing size may or may not change significantly. The real question is: are you happy or unhappy with the way you look?

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD