5'2 , 275lbs, and 25 years old - Liposuction or Tummy Tuck? Which procedure would work best for me? (photos)

I am 5'2 , 275lbs, and 25 years old and I have worked out regularly for almost a year and I am not seeing any progress. I want to get a procedure that will help me lose weight for I can continue to maintain a healthy exercise plan and diet.

Lipo or TT with a BMI of 50 ?

+3
Dear Patient,
according your height and weight, your BMI is 50 which should qualifies you for Bariatric Surgery. The vertical Gastric Sleeve is rapidly becoming the # 1 safest procedure, with the fastest recovery ( 1 day post-op. in the Hospital ) and the fastest weight loss in less than a year.
Consult with a Board Certified General surgeon with experience in Bariatric surgery.
This will change your life !
Good luck,
Florence Mussat

Overweight wishing Surgery

+3
If you have truly plateaued in your weight loss, you need to see a bariatric surgeon, not a plastic surgeon. Neither a tummy tuck nor liposuction will be of benefit to you until you have lost to a reasonable BMI, no more than around 150 lbs. Afterwards, we can help you get rid of the excess skin that you will have.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

5'2 , 275lbs, and 25 years old - Liposuction or Tummy Tuck? Which procedure would work best for me?

+2
Cosmetic surgery is not designed for weight loss, but for contouring after the weight loss. Your photos suggest that you should find another method to help in your journey to lose more weight. Bariatric surgery is one method, but requires surgery and potentially long term malnutrition problems. This is exactly why I earned my nutritional counselors license five years ago so I could help counsel my patients to lose the weight before surgery or maintain the goal weight after surgery.

I have been giving talks in the Carmel and Fishers area on this topic and would love to have you attend to learn more about an easy, affordable, healthful and sustainable way to lose weight and gain health.  

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and tummy tuck will not cause weight loss

+2
Thank you for your question.  It is very important for you to understand that liposuction and tummy tuck are not substitutes for weight loss.  The most important thing you can do this to work hard with diet as well as exercise to lose weight.  After you lose weight your skin will become loose and a tummy tuck can be done.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Liposuction vs Tummy Tuck

+2
At your current weight and abdominal size, neither liposuction nor a tummy tuck are weight loss options. Baraiatric surgery is the only weight loss method for you. The only role an abdominal panniculectomy plays for you is to get rid of the overhang which actually only weighs a few lbs. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Surgery for weight loss

+2
To lose weight, you would need a gastric bypass of some kind.
Removal of the hanging skin from your abdomen will make it easier to get around.
But plastic surgery will not make you lose weight - gastric bypass will.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD