Lipo or Tummy Tuck for Muffin Top After Myomectomy?

I am 5’5”, 174 lbs, and 3.5 weeks post op from abdominal myomectomy for fibroids. Prior to surgery, I needed to lose 15 pounds and had mild abdominal fat, but I could “suck it in”. I now have the dreaded "muffin top," this excess skin or fat hanging over my C-section scar, in 1-inch shelf-like distribution.

Is 3.5 weeks too early to expect this to be gone? Anything non-invasive I can do? Will I need invasive techniques, is Vaser or Smart Lipo, or would I need abdominoplasty? I’m interested in liposuction, but, I don’t want hanging skin.

Muffin Top

+2

Yes it is too early to tell. I would wait and see what things look like at 4 months out. Also it would be nice to see your body to determine what would be the best route for you. You can certainly have scar release or revision along with liposuction to contour the area, or you may need a tummy tuck.

At about four months time go see a board certified plastic surgeon who can exam you and go over the details.

Good luck.

There are a few options

+1

Three and a half weeks is much too early to expect this to resolve on its own. Velashape or endermologie deep massage may help significantly. Liposuction may help also and the skin can retract. Thermage may also help to tighten the skin. The only treatments that I would recommend at this early stage now would be Velashape, with your surgeon’s permission.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com

You need at least a mini tummy tuck.

+1

Hi!

This is a very common problem. Don't do anything for another 3 or 4 months, but this probably won't go away, unfortunately.

The muffin top is caused by a scar tissue shelf, that needs to be released downward. No kind of liposuction will do this. You will need a full tummy tuck, or a mini tummy tuck, depending on your anatomy.

Changes after Abdominal Myomectomy

+1

At only three weeks there is no way to tell what the final outcome of the appearance of your "muffin top" and scars will be. I would recommend at least 6 months before you consider any procedure since at that time all scars have pretty well matured internal wound healing and skin contracture has been achieved. Only then can it be determined what would be best in your particular situation. It may range from a simplke scar revision, to mini-abdominoplasty, to laser assisted liposculpture, or any combination. Be patient. It's in your best interest to wait to that with whatever procedure you choose in conjunction with your surgeon you will have the best chance of success. You may also consider a simple compression garment for several weeks (abdominal binder, girdle, body armor, etc.)

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Choice of surgery

+1

As has been said, it is too soon to tell what would be the best procedure for you. One thing to realize though is that at 5'5" and 174 pounds, you are carrying extra weight. It would be wisest and safest to lose some weight before deciding what to do. You will probably need a tummy tuck though if you already have some overhanging skin.

Please visit some Board Certified Plastic Surgeons in your area who can help you sort out what is best.

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsurgery.com

Eliminating the dreaded muffin top

+1

First of all, a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is the only way to determine what procedure will help you to achieve your aesthetic goals. Additionally, three weeks after major surgery is certainly too early to determine what your abdomen will look like in several more weeks as the swelling of surgery dissipates. Given your height and weight and your description of excess skin, it does sound like an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) and liposuction, and possibly preoperative weight loss, will be the combination to give you the result you desire.