Get Rid of Man's Belly on Large Frame- Liposuction or Tummy Tuck?

I am 5'10 5'11 and I weigh around 215 lbs. I know I should be around 180-190. I have a large frame. What procedure could I take, Liposuction or Tummy Tuck? I already went to a certified plastic surgeon for gynecomastia surgery. The date is pending and I would like to kill 2 birds with 1 shot, since I am very afraid of needles and that sort of stuff. Thanks!

Tummy tuck vs liposuction

+2

The single greatest factor in making the decision is how loose the skin is. In patients who have at some point in their lifetime been much heavier, the skins stretches and does not recover.

In the vast majority of cases such as yours a full abdominoplasty is not necessary. Instead, a combination of liposuction plus a panniculectomy (removal of skin without relocating the umbilicus or tightening the fascia) gives the best result in men. .

The most difficult decision to be made is what to do with the flanks if there is fibrous tissue and loose skin present. The decision there of liposuction vs lipo plus skin excision is a judgment call for an experienced surgeon to make.

Male liposuction pattern

+1

For men fat tends to be stored in the intra-abdominal compartment. This is visceral fat and can not be liposuctioned. This visceral fat can only be lost by diet and exercise.   The risks for men are the same as for women.  The most common area men request liposuction is the lower abdomen and love handle areas.   The elasticity of the skin is the key, good skin gets a good result.

Tummy tuck vs liposuction

+1

It is hard to tell from your photo and it looks like your skin doesn't have the greatest elasticity but I would still recommend a conservative liposuction for you plus more diet and exercise.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Liposuction or Tummy Tuck for male with large frame a tough call

+1

This is a tough call. Options are Full Tummy tuck with lipo, or just some type of lipo (I would do Smart Lipo + Body Jet Lipo). Without a full history and physical examination it is to difficult to give an exact answer. Best of luck.

Lipo vs Tummy tuck in male

+1

You could have either. The best result would be a tummy tuck but the downside is the recovery time and the large scar. Liposuctioning has less reliable results regarding skin contraction but has the advantage of much less downtime and you can always resort to the tummy tuck if needed. You are the only one who can decide as you really do have both options.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

VASER lipo VS. Tummy Tuck in Men

+1

Dear DAL3124,

Nothing replaces a physical examination. Based on your photograph and my experience with men of your size, I do NOT believe you should have an abdominoplasty at this time.

The goal now is to reduce excess fat along the back/ hips / Love Handle areas and along the anterior abdominal wall. Increased liposuction along the midline and sides (ie External obliques and rectus abdominis junctions) will accentuate and give you more of a "ripped" muscular look.

I would then wait a few months for all the swelling to subside and see just how much abdominal skin looseness you end up with, if any. If you have looseness that bothers you THEN, only then I would advise that you may consider an abdominoplasty.

Based on the picture, I would recommend Liposuction

+1

From the picture it appears that you have moderate skin laxity and subcutaneous fat.

Liposuction will decrease the subcutaneous fat without any significant scar. It does not remove any skin but the trade off is the scar. Commonly in men, there is significant contribution from intra-abdominal fat (fat around the intestine which cannot be removed with either procedure, only with weight loss). Therefore, liposuction can remove the superficial fat, your continued weight loss would improve the contour and hopefully with the better contour, you will be more motivated to work out and tighten the abdominal muscle. You can achieve all of this without the long and visible scar.

If you choose liposuction, you must be aware that there will be some loose skin.

Reza Nabavian, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

You would benefit most from Tummy Tuck

+1

Based on the picture that you supplied, it looks like you would benefit most from Tummy Tuck with flank liposuction. If you had liposuction alone, you would probably end up with hanging skin. The tummy tuck will remove the extra skin, tighten your muscles and give you a nice contour. Good luck with your surgery.

David Shafer, MD

Tummy tuck may disappoint

+1

I think a tummy tuck in someone with your frame may disappoint you. One, it has a very long scar. Two you will not significantly change your shape. You do not have the loose rectus muscle like women do and you do not have the "pouch" below the belly button like women do. I think you will look similar to what you are now, and instead of 215 you will weigh 210. Think about losing 20 pounds with a trainer using the money you would save from a tummy tuck. Best of luck.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and gynecomastia at the same time.

+1

You can do both a Tummy tuck and gynecomastia at the same time. You are a little heavy and will end up with the best result if you loose a few pounds before. But you will benefit from both procedures.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD