Get Rid of Man's Belly on Large Frame- Liposuction or Tummy Tuck?

I am 5'10 5'11 and I weigh around 215 lbs. I know I should be around 180-190. I have a large frame. What procedure could I take, Liposuction or Tummy Tuck? I already went to a certified plastic surgeon for gynecomastia surgery. The date is pending and I would like to kill 2 birds with 1 shot, since I am very afraid of needles and that sort of stuff. Thanks!

Tummy tuck vs liposuction

The single greatest factor in making the decision is how loose the skin is. In patients who have at some point in their lifetime been much heavier, the skins stretches and does not recover.

In the vast majority of cases such as yours a full abdominoplasty is not necessary. Instead, a combination of liposuction plus a panniculectomy (removal of skin without relocating the umbilicus or tightening the fascia) gives the best result in men. .

The most difficult decision to be made is what to do with the flanks if there is fibrous tissue and loose skin present. The decision there of liposuction vs lipo plus skin excision is a judgment call for an experienced surgeon to make.

Liposuction is not an alternative but rather addresses a different problem than a TT. Liposuction is less invasive and quicker to recover from than a Tummy Tuck (abdominoplasty). This is because liposuction only involves removing fat from beneath your skin. Your body will cause the overlying skin to contract only to the degree it is capable, often leaving redundant skin which can be unsightly. In other words, you need good elasticity to get a good result.
A Tummy Tuck involves removing redundant skin and tightening the underlying muscles. Sometimes liposuction is combined as needed with a Tummy Tuck for the best possible result. Your photos suggest that you probably are a candidate for a Tummy Tuck. The question is whether the shape of your abdomen is affected by an excess of fat, skin, muscle separation or laxity, or some combination thereof. This can only be determined by examination, so go ahead and consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Some of my patients elect to have liposuction first, and then opt for a Tummy Tuck if the results are not satisfying. See a board certified plastic surgeon to help guide you through the decision making process.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Thank you for the question. The tummy tuck and abdominoplasty terms refer to the same operation. Generally, this operation involves removal of excess skin/adipose tissue of the lower abdominal wall and re approximation of the abdominal wall muscles that may have spread with pregnancies and/or weight gain/loss. Liposuctioning is often used as a tool during the procedure.

Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

Liposuction surgery, on the other hand, refers to an operation that essentially suctions out adipose tissue. The operation does not involve any skin removal or re approximation of abdominal wall muscles. The best candidates for liposuction surgery of the abdominal wall are patients with good quality skin elasticity and a moderate degree of diet and exercise resistant adipose tissue superficial to the abdominal wall muscle layer. Patients who are significantly overweight, have significant abdominal wall laxity, and/or have lost a significant amount of skin elasticity are not generally good candidates.

My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping you achieve the type of outcome you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Male liposuction pattern

For men fat tends to be stored in the intra-abdominal compartment. This is visceral fat and can not be liposuctioned. This visceral fat can only be lost by diet and exercise.   The risks for men are the same as for women.  The most common area men request liposuction is the lower abdomen and love handle areas.   The elasticity of the skin is the key, good skin gets a good result.

Tummy tuck vs liposuction

It is hard to tell from your photo and it looks like your skin doesn't have the greatest elasticity but I would still recommend a conservative liposuction for you plus more diet and exercise.

Liposuction or Tummy Tuck for male with large frame a tough call

This is a tough call. Options are Full Tummy tuck with lipo, or just some type of lipo (I would do Smart Lipo + Body Jet Lipo). Without a full history and physical examination it is to difficult to give an exact answer. Best of luck.

Lipo vs Tummy tuck in male

You could have either. The best result would be a tummy tuck but the downside is the recovery time and the large scar. Liposuctioning has less reliable results regarding skin contraction but has the advantage of much less downtime and you can always resort to the tummy tuck if needed. You are the only one who can decide as you really do have both options.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

VASER lipo VS. Tummy Tuck in Men

Dear DAL3124,

Nothing replaces a physical examination. Based on your photograph and my experience with men of your size, I do NOT believe you should have an abdominoplasty at this time.

The goal now is to reduce excess fat along the back/ hips / Love Handle areas and along the anterior abdominal wall. Increased liposuction along the midline and sides (ie External obliques and rectus abdominis junctions) will accentuate and give you more of a "ripped" muscular look.

I would then wait a few months for all the swelling to subside and see just how much abdominal skin looseness you end up with, if any. If you have looseness that bothers you THEN, only then I would advise that you may consider an abdominoplasty.

Based on the picture, I would recommend Liposuction

From the picture it appears that you have moderate skin laxity and subcutaneous fat.

Liposuction will decrease the subcutaneous fat without any significant scar. It does not remove any skin but the trade off is the scar. Commonly in men, there is significant contribution from intra-abdominal fat (fat around the intestine which cannot be removed with either procedure, only with weight loss). Therefore, liposuction can remove the superficial fat, your continued weight loss would improve the contour and hopefully with the better contour, you will be more motivated to work out and tighten the abdominal muscle. You can achieve all of this without the long and visible scar.

If you choose liposuction, you must be aware that there will be some loose skin.

Reza Nabavian, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

You would benefit most from Tummy Tuck

Based on the picture that you supplied, it looks like you would benefit most from Tummy Tuck with flank liposuction. If you had liposuction alone, you would probably end up with hanging skin. The tummy tuck will remove the extra skin, tighten your muscles and give you a nice contour. Good luck with your surgery.

David Shafer, MD