Safe for Me to Have Tummy Tuck and Liposuction?

I have a lot of loose skin and some fat in my waist area. I am scheduled for Liposuction and a Tummy Tuck on May 15th. My cardiologist has requested a stress test on the 11th to make sure I can stand the surgery. I had triple bypass heart surgery four years ago. I felt good ever since the odd angina episode, but it usually happens when I have pushed myself. Is there a big risk for me?

I think your risk is elevated and I would not do this surgery.

+1

Hi. If I understood you correctly, and you are having episodes of angina currently, after a triple bypass, then I am afraid it is not safe for you to have an abdominoplasty.

I would not do it even if you are cleared by your cardiologist. I would be surprised if the anesthesiologist agrees to this.

Risk for combined procedures

+1

Your risk is certainly elevated relative to a healthy 30-year old having the same procedure. You are doing the right thing by having a cardiology evaluation.

There is no absolute answer in determining risk. That is between you, your surgeon and your cardiologist.

Obviously, the safest route is the most advisable.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Cardiac check up is good idea

+1

Sounds like your cardiologist is on top of things and making sure your heart is healthy enough. On the other hand, bad things can happen to healthy patients because of the type of surgery performed. Too much liposuction over too large an area or combined too aggressively with abdominoplasty may carry increased risks by itself. Discuss the limits and risk of your planned procedure with your surgeon and what options there are to limit the operation if things do not go smoothly in surgery.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

All surgeries carry risks.

+1

Any surgery using anesthesia carries risks. It is up to your surgeon and internest to determine your health. I know nothing about your health so I can not tell you what your risks are.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD