Is Liposuction or a Tummy Tuck Best for Me?

Iam 24 years old i have not had any children however early last year i lost around 2 and a half stone in the space of 2 months going from 14 and a half stone to 11 and a half stone this left me with a saggy tummy mostly hangover at the bottom and a little saggy around the top it is not horrendous but is bad enough this is making me miserable please can you suggest the best option for me

Tummy Tuck or Lipo for a 24 y.o. lady

+1

Dear Lovely,

Congratulations on a commendable weight loss.

I would like to start by drawing your attention to the importance of your future plans when it comes to choosing the best surgery to fit your needs.

To enjoy the optimal results, a full or a mini tummy tuck will be your best as far as you will gain candidacy for this procedure after physical examination.

Nonetheless, you will be carrying a scar that will stretch and excess skin will result in case you got pregnant in the future. So, you may be in a position where you will have to undergo the same/similar procedure again.

Liposuction will not get rid of the excess skin you may have. So, the results may not be up to your expectations.

Therefore, I encourage you to consult with a surgeon of ample experience who will assess the laxity of your skin and discuss with you all possible options to make an informed decision.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Sagging tummy after weight loss

+1
Congratulations on your weight loss. Liposuction would not be the procedure of choice. Depending upon whether only the skin apron is anging or there is additional sagging throughout, either a panniculectomy ir amdominoplasty would be appropriate but an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon would be step one. Best of luck.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Loose skin after weight loss

+1

Your problem sounds like excess skin.

Skin removal is one part of a tummy tuck. This may be all you need.

I suggest you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to help you decide if removing the excess skin will be right for you,.

You can go on-line or you can call the American Society of Plastic Surgeons for names of surgeons in your area.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Liposuction is ideal to remove small pockets of excess fat, Tummy tuck tightens the belly

+1

A tummy tuck removes excess skin, tightening the abdominal skin, abdominal muscles, and removes some stretch marks. A liposuction procedure only removes fat, does very little to the overlying skin.  So if you have excess skin (skin folds) then a liposuction procedure is not for you.

Martin Jugenburg, MD, FRCSC

Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Liposuction or Tummy Tuck Prior to Children

+1

Liposuction does not address the hanging skin and can leave the abdominal area looking a little lumpy.  Tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) or mini tummy tuck (lower abdomen only) will address the skin but also leaves scarring and abdominal wall suturing that may not respond well if stretched by pregnancy in the future.  If this is something that really bothers you and you are looking for the flatest tummy possible, then tummy tuck is an option.  You need to realize that you will probably need to repeat the procedure at some point if you have children.  If this is something that doesn't bother you greatly, you may want to consider liposuction knowing that it may not give you the best long result. 

Eric A. Marchant, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction or tummy tuck?

+1

Just the fact that you are talking about "saggy tummy" I suspect indicates that liposuction alone will not give you complete satisfaction.  You probably need some element of skin tightening, and that would generally require an abdominoplasty/tummy tuck.  Photos would greatly help in terms of evaluating your particular situation.  Best of luck to you.

James E. Chappell, MD

I would need to see a photo

+1

But, if you have not had kids, perhaps some lipo with a panulectomy will do. You can just remove the overhanging skin and give you a flatter stomach, but again, we would need to see exactly what you have. I try to steer away from a full tummy tuck until you have finished having children, and do smaller stuff before.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Treatment for "Saggy Tummy"

+1

Without seeing pictures, it is impossible to give you specific advice.  However, if you have a "saggy tummy" then tummy tuck / full abdominoplasty is the best treatment.  Liposuction removes fat, which would only make your tummy more saggy.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

A tummy tuck would be the best option.

+1

While a photo would be very helpful in evaluating this, your story of hanging skin in your lower and upper abdomen makes me think a tummy tuck, to tighten the skin, would be your best choice.  Some liposuction at your flanks may improve your waist, but liposuction of skin which is loose and hangs will be of no help.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Liposuction Doesn't Address Extra Skin

+1

In order to deal with what sounds like extra skin (a photo would have been helpful), you should consider a tummy tuck.  Unfornunately this would not be addressed by liposuction alone.

John Whitt, MD