Liposuction Vs Tummy Tuck Advice

I weigh 190 lbs. I haven't had any children, but my stomach looks like I could be 4-5 months pregnant. I have no stretch marks on my stomach and the skin is firm. I have 2 rolls on the sides and flattening buttocks, which used to be a nice size. What would you suggest, Liposuction or a Tummy Tuck?

Weight loss is the best starting point

+4

This a tough situation to be in. The "pregnant look" is something no one wants to have.

While a tummy tuck might be the answer, you are probably overweight. To get the best result, I would advise you to try working at getting at least twenty pounds off your frame.

If your skin is truly tight, it will not only make a big difference on how you look, it might mean at that point you could get some liposuction on the remaining "rolls," which is far less expensive than a tummy tuck, has fewer and shorter scars, and is easier to recover from.

If you have tried to lose weight on your own and it didn't work, get help. Join Weight Watchers, get a personal trainer, or buy one of those diet plans you see on TV.

Surgery is much more fun both for you and your surgeon when you are closer to your ideal weight.

Step one is to get your weight under control

+2

I have seen many women who are in your situation. And, like you, many of them are unhappy with the shape of their bodies. More than likely, when you accumulate fat it is in your torso, particularly your abdomen, and not in your extremities or your buttocks. This fat distribution is one that is difficult to deal with and is probably genetically determined. And, a certain amount of this weight is internal and cannot be affected by either liposuction of a tummy tuck.

So the first step is to try and your weight decreased. This is most effective when you change your lifestyle to include dietary restrictions that you can live with, and some exercise. This will need to be a way of life you can maintain, once the weight has been lost, so that you will not gain it back again. Then, you can be considered for the appropriate operation.

If you are going to have children, you should do this prior to a tummy tuck. If you are not going to have children, and – after weight loss – this is no skin looseness, but there is still some fat fullness: liposuction may work for you.

If you have skin looseness after weight loss, or if you have had children, a tummy tuck may be the answer. When I perform a tummy tuck, I will almost always do liposuction as well. So, in this case you would be getting both.

So, the bottom line is to first get you weight in a better place, and then consider your surgical options.

David B. Reath, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

First lose some weight

+2

At 190 pounds, you are not an ideal surgery candidate for either a tummy tuck or liposuction. Best to lose weight first and see where you are after. If your skin shrinks well and you have good muscle tone and no rolls or folds of skin, liposuction might be considered. If you have lax muscles, loose skin, stretch marks and rolls or folds, a tummy tuck would be better.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Lipo vs. Good Health

+1

Liposuction is great to treat a contour concern that does not get better in spite of excercise and diet.

Tummy Tuck is for those people with contour concerns with excess skin and perhaps stretched out muscles from childbirth.

Healthy living is for ALL Patients!

I suggest:

1- Sensible eating with smaller meals, every 3.5 to 4 hours.

2- Start every day with a protein meal.

3- Avoid processed carb's--anything that is white.

4- Exercise daily.

5- Lift weights to build muscle--this will help you lose weight better then aerobic exercise.

6- Aerobic work for a healthy heart.

Robert M. Freund, MD

There is no substitute for diet

+1

You sound like you need diet and exercise before surgery. Diet and exercise is free and not very painful. Surgery is costly and very painful. Stop eating. Exercise is good, but you have to work a long time to burn calories. It's easier just not to eat the calories. And more healthy, too.

G. Gregory Gallico III, MD

Liposuction, tummy tuck

+1

Dear Usedtobenice!!!! it is difficult to offer any advice about your options for body contouring. Both procedures can be effective in the right situation. You will need to see a Plastic Surgeon for a consultation and to understand your options, risks and benefits.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

A physical exam is necessary

+1

A physical exam is necessary to determine if you have mostly a bulging muscle or extra fat above the muscle layer. You might have both. This would give you the answer as to which procedure is best for you. Some patients need both procedures. Some physicians perform both procedures together but, this does increase the surgical risk of the procedures. Liposuction can be done first and then when you have healed you can more safely undergo the tummy tuck if needed.

Ronald Shelton, MD

What is your height?

+1

If you are over 6 feet tall, then your weight puts you at a little overweight - but I assume you are about 5"4" tall which gives you a BMI of about 33 which puts you in the obese category. Plastic surgery is designed to make you look better -- but it does not replace diet and exercise.

Liposuction is for people who might be a little overweight but have excess lumps and bumps -- it does a great job in slimming them down.

A tummy tuck is for a normal weight person who has stretched out their abdomen especially after child birth.

It sounds like you need a diet first.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

One cannot tell without seeing you.

+1

Very often one can get by with just the liposuction. But if that results in hanging skin, then you would require a tummy tuck. See an experienced surgeon to guide you.