Liposuction or "Trampoline" Neck Lift? (Both in Conjunction with Chin Implant) (photo)

Hi, I'm 38 and have a weak chin coupled with a "double chin" with some jowling. A lower face and neck lift (~$20K) is outside my budget. I've consulted with several doctors. One told me a chin implant with liposuction ($6K); and the other suggested a chin implant, no liposuction and a "trampoline" neck lift ($6K + $10K). Obviously it's a big difference in price. The chin implant is a given, I'm just wondering what the best solution is for my neck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here is my recommendation.

+3

Based on your photographs alone, I believe your best results would be achieved with lower facelift/necklift, submental fat direct excision (more uniform and smooth than liposuction, not to mention less bloody since under direct vision with precise hemostasis), and extended anatomic Flowers mandibular glove silicone elastomer chin implant (via the same incision used fo the fat removal and necklift with treatment of the anterior platysma--similar to corset procedure). This would require 4 hours of surgery and would cost less than $10K in many locations throughout the country.

Your lowest cost procedure would be chin implant and direct fat excision with possible anterior platysmaplasty if needed (2 hours). In-person examination and consultation would be necessary to decide what options best fit your specific goals and anatomy, not to mention your finances! All 3 of your listed options seem almost double of usual TOTAL costs! For examples of my patients with similar concerns (see case 4 in particular), click on the web reference link below. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant and Submental Liposuction

+1

A chin implant with or without submental liposuction would provide a nice improvement, and this can be done for lower figure you mentioned.

Neck rejuvenation

+1

It is difficult to assess with this photo alone but it is possible that you could be a candidate for liiposuction and a suture suspension neck lift. Your chin could possibly be augmented with fat grafting.

Cervical / submandibular liposuction

Some individuals have 'sagging' necks primarily due to fat accumulation below the jawbone (mandible). In some cases, liposuction alone can significantly improve the neck appearance. Liposuction is also frequently combined with surgical neck rejuvenation, and in selected cases some direct excision of fat (through a hidden incision below the chin) is performed. The reduction of fat in the area below the jawline and in the anterior neck almost always makes the neck appear longer, and makes the patient's profile appear more elegant or refined.

Suture suspension neck lift

In cosmetic surgery patients that do not have a sharp transition in profile between the submental area (area below the jawline) and the anterior neck, and in patients who simply want that transition enhanced, I add a 'suture suspension necklift'. A permanent suture is passed subcutaneously across the anterior neck, at the level corresponding to depth of the angle between the submental area and anterior neck, and is then anchored to the deep soft tissues behind each earlobe. This suspension cosmetic surgery procedure can dramatically enhance the definition between the jawline and anterior neck, producing a more elegant profile.

The neck is without question the primary 'facelift' aesthetic area where subtractive (excisional) and tightening procedures restore a truly youthful contour. Once again, take a look at the fashion magazines: essentially every neck you'll see demonstrates something close to a right angle between the neck and jaw. When it comes to the neck, and only in the neck, flat is good.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Treatment options for neck

+1

A chin implant alone will improve you neck somewhat. TIghtening of the platysma muscle in addition to this would further define your neck and I think would overall give you a good result. Of course a complete lower face and neck lift would be more dramatic but you are young and might not need it just yet. best of luck

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift can really be improved with chin implant.

+1

Hi.

You don't look like you need a face and neck lift anyway!  Hard to be sure from just one picture, but liposuction may be all you need.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Improving the appearance of a double chin

+1

There are many great options to improve the appearance of the neck, and the best option depends on the needs of the patient. Depending on the age of the patient and elasticity of the skin, submental/jowl liposuction yields a great result.  For a patient who is a good candidate, the best overall result would be from a necklift, (with liposuction of the neck if necessary), and platysmaplasty, removing skin around the ears if needed. If your surgeon has computer imaging software, it may help give you an idea of how the final result may appear. Thank you and I hope this helps!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Neck lift will address "double chin"

+1

At age 38 the best option to sculpt a whole new neck and jaw line is to perform a neck lift.  The neck lift operation involves removing fat above and below the platysmal muscle and tightening the platysmal muscle in the submental area to give a nice definition of the neck and jaw line. There are 3 incisions, in the neck lift surgery, all about 2 cm in length, which include 2 incisions behind the ears and 1 incision in the chin area to gain access to remove the fat in the neck. That same incision is also used to place a chin implant.  The neck lift and chin implant are performed under general anesthesia as an outpatient procedure and takes approximately 2 hours to perform.  The cost of a chin implant and neck lift surgery is around $9,200 which includes the operating room, anesthesia, and the surgeon’s fee for performing both procedures.

Chin implant, neck liposuction with laser assisted tightening,and fat rebalancing

+1

It is my opinion, that today you really have many more options than what was available even 5--7 years ago. Personally, I would suggest to you that there is no rush to proceed to a facelift.

You have excellent skin tone and texture. An extended chin implant would help with your jaw line and the early prejowl hollowing or sulcus as it is more technically called. I like the general contour of your chin and lower face. I would opt for a conservative augmentation would preserve the overall look of your and improve the neck and jaw line.

I believe the submental area can be improived with  laser assisted liposuction, performed carefully and by someone with experience.  I do not use the laser to remove fat, this part is done mechanically. Subsequently, the laser is  used for skin tightening. It is  unlikely that you need extensive platysma work at this time.  Slight fat rebalancing with removal in the jowls while adding some volume to the cheeks is beneficial in acheiving a lifting and rejuvenating effect. 

Save the facelift for some other time.

Arthur N. Falk, MD
Albany Facial Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction or "Trampoline" Neck Lift? (Both in Conjunction with Chin Implant)

+1

Thanks for the one posted photo. You might consider due to limitations of funds chin implant + Smart Lipo of sub mental area. Fee range $5 to 6K. 

A lower face/neck lift for $6000 is very affordable for dramatic results.

+1

A lower face/neck lift under local anesthesia for only $6000 is very affordable for most patients who want a dramatic improvement and without the risks of general anesthesia. Liposuction is usually part of the procedure. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon