How to Find a Good Liposuction Doctor?

In the past few years, I've developed some hereditary inner thigh and knee fat. Due to permanent knee injury, I can only get my cardio exercise from walking, bike, and elliptical type machines. However, I’m not seeing many results. I want to have Liposuction for my thighs and/or lower abdomen, but I don’t know if I can trust the doctors who have affordable pricing. What are the important factors should I consider when finding a good Liposuction doctor?

Do some homework

+1

Dear J,

Perhaps the most the important piece of homework you can do is to find a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS). You can find us on the ABPS website, the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) website and the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) website. Obtain a few consultations with these surgeons and ask to speak to one or two of their patients. This will give you a good sense of the surgeons' value and minimize your chances for an adverse outcome. Remember, however, the best surgeon in the world can have a bad result and vice versa. So, go into this with the knowledge that ALL surgery can have complications and less that optimal results. Good luck!

Look at credentials!

+1

Be very careful to look at credentials. Be sure that the doctor is board certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery, and displays the logo. Be very careful of doctors who say they are so called "Board Certified Cosmetic Surgeons", as this is a bogus "board" to puff up credentials.

I refer you to the American Board of Medical Specialties.

sek

Don't forget your other doctors

+1

It is often beneficial to ask your otherdoctors, like internist, family phyisician, and especially ob-gyn doctos for referrals. There often know who is good, has a good reputation, and often will see the results, good and bad, from their own patient base. Ask to speak to other patients in the surgeon's practice since the important thing is if the patient is happy. In my opinion, photos do not tell the whole story and can be misleading.

Start out with a board certified plastic surgeon.

+1

Hi!

1) Go to the link below for a cosmetic surgery specialist in your area.

2) Ask to see a lot of before and after photos.

3) Ask to talk to one of the doctor's patients.

4) See 2 or 3 surgeons to get a sense of what normal fees are in your area. Don't go to the low bidder. If you cannot afford normal fees, go to a plastic surgery clinic in a teaching hospital, where the surgery is done by residents under supervision. This is at least a safe option.

Great Question

+1

This is a very important question for the prospective cosmetic patient. The following are some guidelines that will help you.

1. Find the Plastic Surgeons who are Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery-this is the only recognized plastic surgery board certification.

2. Among those surgeons look for members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery-this group specializes in cosmetic surgery

3. Talk to friends about who they have been to and their experiences

4. Visit the plastic surgeon(s) for a consultation and have a list of questions written and ask them. Don't be afraid to ask pointed questions. Ask follow up questions when you don't understand or feel like you are getting the run around.

5 Ask to look at pictures of other patients.

Some important things that the Dr should go over are

1. type of liposuctining that is used. If they tell you there is no difference it is probably because they either have not used the various type, don't have enough experience or don't have access to the different types of liposutioning.

2. The skin is almost always the limiting factor. They should address what they think will happen to your skin after liposutioning.

3. What is their policy regarding irregularities that don't go away after 6 months.

Doing all of the above will give you the best chance of finding the most qualified plastic surgeon. It does not mean that others can't do a good job but this increases the possibility of getting a good Dr.

Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon