What's is the Most Precise form of Liposuction?

Dear Doctors, with this overflow of informations we can find on the internet, I'd like to know if there is really a liposuction technique that is more PRECISE than the another one ? I know it really depends of the surgeons, but for example when you look at some websites, it sounds like if some are THE MOST PRECISE TECHNIQUE on the market (vaser...) and I wanted to know if there is really a technique that allow the surgeons to get more precision ? Thanks in advance !

Liposuction Precision?

+2

There is a saying.." it's not the tool, it's the fool behind the tool” that matters. I think this holds very true for the liposuction procedure,  in that  it is the surgeon's, not the equipment's  precision that matters.

The Results of Liposuction Are Primarily The Skill Of The Surgeon

+2

Despite the many different types of tools and technologies that are available to perform liposuction, the most important tool is the hands and experience of the surgeon performing it. The other available tools are only as good as the hands that are using them. While it is easy for you to look at what technology any particular doctor is offering, it is very difficult for you to determine how good they are at it. That is unfortunate and the best you can do is to use a basic approach...look for someone that has been around a long time and has a solid reputation for performing the procedure. Liposuction is an artistic operation that is easy for just about any doctor to jump in and start performing with very little if any training. These are not the type of hands I would be looking for to do my procedure.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

The most precise form of liposuction?

+2

This is an excellent question for there are many different methods of performing liposuction, each with its advantages and disadvantages...no wonder you are a little overwhelmed.   The bottom line is that no one method has proven to be superior despite the various claims  made.  What is important is the person who is holding the cannula, their experience and their artistic sense.      

Donald M. Brown, MD

What's is the Most Precise form of Liposuction? Answer:

+2

We would probably all agree that Lipo is the most imprecise thing we do and that there are so many factors that affect the outcome. Surgeon, skin quality, pt. age & area treated are crucial. Hips rarely get wavy, while inner thighs and abdo…Look out! So all things being their best, I have come to lean a bit toward SlimLipo. I think it does a better job for me in giving an even melting of the fat & aspiration, either under local or otherwise. I see far less rippling in the tummy than I used to.

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Simple-It is your SURGEON!

+2

This is a very good question and one I am ask frequently.  The surgeon that you select is like an artist.  You may select one who take 1hour four the procedure or one that take 2hrs or more.  He is the the one who will  determine your outcome not the tool that is used.  All of the liposuction equipment techniques have there risk and benefits.  It is better to follow a great artist or plastic surgeon and not the equipment.

This doesn't answer your question but a good way to view it as well.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Many factors are involved with the precision of liposuction

+2
Difficult question as there are many factors involved in determining the precision of fat removal. On the surface microliposuction using small cannulas with syringe suction will be the most precise, but are only practical for small areas. In general the tumescent technique in which 3-4cc of fluid is injected for each cc of fat removed is arguably an imprecise technique due to the large amount of fluid that obscures details. This is independent of the lipo system that is used. Many of us have gone to using a 1cc fluid infusion per cc of fat removed that does not distort the anatomy as much as the tumescent volume of fluid. In addition, the more fat removed, the more difficult to control the outcome. Add to this the general asymmetry of the body and one can see the difficulty in precisely contouring the body. All in all, the outcome depends on the skill and experience of the surgeon as well as his artistic vision.

Kirk A. Churukian, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

The most precise liposuction technique

+1

It's certainly understandable how someone could be confused by all of the different liposuction techniques available today.  There is so much information and marketing about liposuction, VASER, SmartLipo and other techniques, it can be very confusing.  The bottom line is that these techniques may offer advantages for certain individuals.  Nonetheless, the most precise liposuction technique is done by the most precise surgeon.  End of story.  This is the absolute most important factor, so chose your surgeon wisely.  An experienced Plastic Surgeon can discuss the different techniques available and recommend which one will work best for you.

John K. Wakelin III, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction

+1

I do not think that anyone technqiue is beter than the rest. I think it is technician dependent and nothing more.

Lipo Results Are In The Hands Of The Surgeon, Not The Tool Being Used!

+1

Wow!  You asked are really great question.  If you want to start a great debate in a group of plastic surgeons, ask them which liposuction technique works best.  It is sort of like the old Miller Lite ads, "Tastes great, Less filling!"  The reality is that the quality of the results has less to do with the type of liposuction device being used and more with the person behind the device.  All of these lipo devices are used to basically remove unwanted fat from trouble areas.  They all use some form of energy-mechanical, ultrasound, heat, etc.-to free the fatty tissue and then suction to remove it.  The surgeon is like a sculptor who has many chisels to work with because they make the job easier.  Still,even if they only had one chisel, a good sculptor will still produce a beautiful result.  The same can be said for liposuction.  A good liposuction surgeon will get good results no matter what type of liposuction technique they use and most surgeons choose their technique based on what they are most comfortable with using.  Try to ignore the marketing hype from the liposuction system manufacturers and focus on the results the plastic surgeons you are consulting with have achieved in the past.  Oh, as an aside, in national meetings when they show liposuction results and then ask the plastic surgeons which device they thought was used, almost no one gets the correct response.  So again, it is the surgeon that gets the results, not the machine.  Consult with an number of board-certified plastic surgeons before choosing your surgeon.  Good Luck!

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Local tumescent liposculpting with the micro cannulas gives by far the most precise results.

+1

The experience of the lipo surgeon is most important. Having said that, the most experienced lipo surgeons all do lipo under local now using the tumescent technique local anesthesia with the small micro cannulas to get the best results. Under local you can stand, sit, rotate the patient in all positions and more precisely sculpt the areas with the 2.0 mm and smaller micro cannulas to give the best results. Some docs will use the gimmicky Smartlipo, vaser, waterjet, etc.... forms of lipo which all have some problems which aren't worth the risks but still can do a decent job in the right hands. Some of the worse results that I've seen are by docs who still use the old general anesthesia traditional liposuction with 4.0-6.0 canulas or who burned the skin with the laser or ultrasound lipo canulas. The best advise is to go to a doc who primarily just does liposculpting.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon