Does Liposuction Swelling Increase Everyday?

The first day after Liposuction, my tummy was very flat. Now that I'm on day 3, I can see a bulge where I had Liposuction done. Does swelling increase everyday? I am hoping to hear this is all just swelling and the bulge that re-appeared will go away!

Double check with your surgeon

It is most likely swelling which tends to peak after 72-96 hrs. However, if it is localized and has a fluid wave type response it may be indicative of a seroma which is more common after ultrasonic liposuction. It is generally not advised to use diuretics. Compression, activity, and manual lymphatic drainage have been reported to minimize the swelling.

Discuss with your surgeon to ensure that all is well.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Liposuction Swelling

Maximum swelling is usually within about three to five days after your surgery, and the majority of it along with bruising goes away in two to three weeks. You may feel some firmness, though, for a few months afterward. You can assess your results at three to four months after surgery.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

Liposuction Swelling

Thank you for your question.   This is a common concern that we see.   Patients will typically reach maximum swelling at 72 hours and then slowly begin going down.   

Based on my experience, I typically tell my patients that 50% of my result is from surgery, and the other 50% of the end result is appropriate compression and removal of the swelling. 

I recommend that patients maintain a tight compression garment continously for 72 hours (the peak period of swelling), and then wear compression garments at all times unless bathing or washing garment.  If areas become hard or have prolonged swelling beyond 2 weeks, I recommend deep tissue massage.

I inform my patients that 90% of swelling is gone by 6 weeks and the remaining amount by 6 months.     I wish you a safe recovery and amazing end result.

Dr Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

9200 Pinecroft
The Woodlands, TX 77380

Need to make sure swelling after liposuction is not seroma.

Most likely, this is just swelling that will gradually decrease. But see your plastic surgeon right away, because it might be a fluid collection that needs to be aspirated.  A sonogram will diagnose a seroma.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

875 Park Ave at 78th Street
New York, NY 10075

Liposuction swelling usually peaks at day

I agree you should be followed by your surgeon, but usually, liposuction swells progressively for about three days, then it slowly comes down. It may take a few weeks to a few months for this to settle down. I believe compressive garments help it come down sooner, but that is a matter of opinion.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

630 South Glassell
Orange, CA 92866