Does Liposuction Swelling Increase Everyday?

The first day after Liposuction, my tummy was very flat. Now that I'm on day 3, I can see a bulge where I had Liposuction done. Does swelling increase everyday? I am hoping to hear this is all just swelling and the bulge that re-appeared will go away!

Double check with your surgeon

+2

It is most likely swelling which tends to peak after 72-96 hrs. However, if it is localized and has a fluid wave type response it may be indicative of a seroma which is more common after ultrasonic liposuction. It is generally not advised to use diuretics. Compression, activity, and manual lymphatic drainage have been reported to minimize the swelling.

Discuss with your surgeon to ensure that all is well.

Liposuction Swelling

+1
Maximum swelling occurs at about 3-5 days, which seems to be your case. Most of the swelling will be gone in 2-3 weeks, but some firmness can last 6-8 weeks. The final result can usually be assessed at 3-4 months.  

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Liposuction Swelling

+1

Thank you for your question.   This is a common concern that we see.   Patients will typically reach maximum swelling at 72 hours and then slowly begin going down.   

Based on my experience, I typically tell my patients that 50% of my result is from surgery, and the other 50% of the end result is appropriate compression and removal of the swelling. 

I recommend that patients maintain a tight compression garment continously for 72 hours (the peak period of swelling), and then wear compression garments at all times unless bathing or washing garment.  If areas become hard or have prolonged swelling beyond 2 weeks, I recommend deep tissue massage.

I inform my patients that 90% of swelling is gone by 6 weeks and the remaining amount by 6 months.     I wish you a safe recovery and amazing end result.

Dr Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Need to make sure swelling after liposuction is not seroma.

+1

Hi.

Most likely, this is just swelling that will gradually decrease. But see your plastic surgeon right away, because it might be a fluid collection that needs to be aspirated.  A sonogram will diagnose a seroma.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Liposuction swelling usually peaks at day

+1

I agree you should be followed by your surgeon, but usually, liposuction swells progressively for about three days, then it slowly comes down. It may take a few weeks to a few months for this to settle down. I believe compressive garments help it come down sooner, but that is a matter of opinion.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon