Swelling Near Belly Button After Liposuction

I am almost four months post op from Liposuction. I don't understand why the swelling around my belly button is still there. The swelling on the right side of my belly button is more than that on the left side. I was instructed I could do stomach exercises this week and it did nothing but make the area around my belly button swell more. Doctor said I should still expect great improvements between now and September. What steps can I take to help reduce the swelling?

The belly botton was undertreated

+1

This is a hard and more fibous area than the rest of the abdomen. A plastic surgeon with lots of experience knows this and one has to trear this area aggresively. I use the VASER ultrasound to help achieve the desired result. You most likely will need a touch up. This could be even more difficult now, due to the additional scarring from the original surgery.

Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

4 months post liposuction

+1

If you are 4 months post liposuciton and yuou still have fullness around the umbilicus, it may mean that the area wasn't adequately treated.  You may require additional liposuction.

You probably need touch up liposuction.

+1

Hi!

At 4 months after liposuction, you are seeing the final result.  Exercises will not help.  I would wait another couple of months, and then do a touch up.  This should be pretty minor, and is not that unusual.  In our New York City practice, about 5% of patients need a little touch up.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

The "donut" after Liposuction

+1

Dear Anonymous,

Might be swelling, but most of the swelling should be gone by now.

A more likely explanation is what is referred to as the "donut." It is the tendency to leave a circle of fat right around the belly button. This occurs because the belly button inhibits the uniform removal of fat in a variety of directions which help with shaping in other lipo areas. This can be overcome by compulsively anticipating this possibility and working and working the belly button area.

The good news is that this can be corrected by going back and doing more liposuction on this area. The procedure is small and can easily be accomplished in the office setting. Your surgeon should be motivated to help you with this issue.

Probably not much improvement in next two months

+1

You can continue to wear the binder, but not much improvement can be expected after four months, in my experience.  It is standard to wait six months after surgery before considering revision, however.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD