Can I Have a Liposuction if I'm Taking Sibutramine?

I'm considering doing a liposuction of my exterior and interior tights. I already visited a doctor and he said i'm the perfect candidat for this kind of surgery, but I just forgot to tell him that I'm taking sibutramine, 15mg. I'm wondering if there are any problem or contraindications between the anesthesia and sibutramine, or if everything is fine. thank you!

+1

There are reports of issues with the anesthesia so it is best to be off the medications for one month prior to the surgery.

Liposuction and sibutramine?

+1

Thank you for your question.  You should NOT have surgery and in fact you should not be taking this drug.   Sibutramine has been taken off  the market as of October 8, 2010.   The FDA withdrew Sibutramine (Meridia)  in light of clinical trial data pointing to an increased risk for stroke and myocardial infarction (heart attack).

A postmarketing study of the drug's cardiovascular safety  demonstrated a 16% increase in the risk for serious cardiovascular events such as nonfatal heart attack, nonfatal stroke, the need for resuscitation after the heart stopped, and death in a cohort of patients given sibutramine compared with another given a placebo.

Please be sure that you discuss this with your internist,  plastic surgeon and anesthesiologist. 

Donald M. Brown, MD