Liposuction Scars, How Long Before They Fade?

hi doctors, I am almost three month post liposuction of upper arms, inner thighs, outer thighs and abdomen. i am very happy with results and so glad i had it done but my concern now is the scars from incisions. the ones on my arms and knees are small and not bothering me but the ones on my stomach are over my hip bone area, they are thin but around an inch long. i am mediterrianian so i tend to scar easily and they scars turn dark in no time. what can i do about them?

Liposuction scar treatment

+1
You can try scar treatments, such as silicone cream or sheeting. These help improve the appearance of the scar. You should avoid direct sunlight to the incision line as this may result in pigmentation changes. This is particularly true during the first year after the surgery. Never expose the incision to sunlight without sunblock - use SPF 15 or greater.
Scars will initially be red and a little raised, but over 3-6 months they usually get lighter in colour and flatten out.

Scars of Liposuction at 3 Months

+1

The scars from liposuction will continue to fade in most cases for at least one year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Scars after Liposuction

+1

Scars take months to mature and maximum results occur in 12 months.   If pigments is the problem, this can be eliminated with the use of a Retin A  Hydroquinone mixture.  It takes time, but use it daily and with sunscreen and it works.   You have fine scars so you don't need a scar cream like Kelocote etc.   Not sure why one inch scars but your doctor had good reason I am sure.   Ask you doctor for a pigment inhibitor and you will be fine.  MD Products makes a simple mix that is inexpensive and very effective.  My Best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon