Liposuction Scars Too High

My Liposuction scars are a little too high even, though I was told they would be hidden underneath my panties. How can I improve the appearance of my scars? I plan to wear low rise jeans and bikini in the future, but the scars are too obvious.

Liposuction scars

+1

Some scars are very red initially and this can be toned down by using an over-the-counter silicone sheet dressing (several different brands). Laser can be done also to decrease this red color but it takes several treatments and it won’t be looking its best during this summer bikini season. If they are more pigmented than your normal skin, a lightening cream can be prescribed by your surgeon. Lastly, scars can be excised and closed with stitches to provide a better result, but some scars could result in a worse appearance after such revision as there is this risk with any surgical excision (infection, spread, raised or pigmented scars). See your surgeon for suggestions

Wait for 6-12 months.

+1

The red appearance takes 6-12 months to go away. Make up will conceal these until then. If they are too wide or depressed(sunken in) they will need to be excised and reclosed.

Scars

+1

You did not mention how long ago your surgery was. Give things 6 - 12 months to completely heal. That said, your first step is to return to your plastic surgeon. I'm sure you were asked to return for follow-up anyway. Ask about options to improve the cosmesis of the scars. The good news with liposuction is that the incisions are nothing more than small stab incisions and not big. Some lasers work well to improve scars, depending on the problem. Some patients go as far as medical micropigmentation to better match scar color tone to natural skin tone.

Edmond A. Zingaro, MD