What to Do About Liposuction Scars on Lower Belly?

I had lipo on my stomach last year and I was told the scars will fade with time. I don't tan and I'm very pale and these scars are now purple colored hyperpigmentations so they stand out. I have tried bleaching creams such as Triluma, but my skin got very irritated so I stopped. What can I do about them?? laser? peels? skin supplement? or just give it more time?

Unfavorable scars from liposuction

+1

It is unusual for liposuction scars to be a problem at a year. If they are red, IPL treatments can be performed. 

Cortisone creams and combination bleaching creams fade liposuction scars quite well.

+1

Too strong of bleaching creams can actually cause irritation and keep the purple-pink color on going.  I like to add an additional cortisone cream to help take the irriation or red away faster along with the triple bleaching cream and sunscreen.  Triamcinolone 0.1 % every morning does great and allows you to keep using your bleaching cream.  Sometimes you only need the cortisone cream by itself. 

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Unsatisfactory color of liposuction scars

+1

Some people can get raised scars, others spread, others have red scars for one to two years before they become whitish and yet other people develop post inflammatory hyperpigmentation in their scars and this darker brown color may not fade, especially if it is on the lower body.  V-beam can help red scars and raised scars, Fraxel in conjunction with lightening creams may fade or may worsen your pigmentation. Your doctor can also consider revising the scars surgically, and you can consider revising one as a test before they are all done, as the same or worse result can occur again.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Management of Dark Liposuction Scars

+1

Eventually all scars mature and become gray-white. Before attempting another method to get them to blanch I would wait the full year and see what your body can do naturally.

If at one year the scars are still purplish and you are unhappy with them, I would have them formally revised; Excision followed by a nice layered Plastic closure. That SHOULD give you the best cosmetic result.

Pulsed light or laser for scars after lipo

+1

Usually the scars would be placed in places where they are not too obvious, but there are options for treating the purplish or red scars regardless of the original procedure. IPL treatments (Intense Pulsed Light) are similar to laser and there are lasers also that should be very helpful. They work especially well on people with pale skin so it will be worth looking into.

Richard Baxter, MD