Would a Mini TT and Lipo Revise a Previous C-Section?

After several consultations with drs, have decided to get Liposuction, + I need a scar revision of my previous c-sect which looks like its becoming a keloid. I am 5'7, 150lbs. Question : Since I am doing a scar revision, can I include a mini tummy tuck and tighten my skin in the process as well? Is the recovery time the same for scar revision vs mini Tt? Some drs during my consult suggested only lipo while some said full tummy tuck. Not keen into full Tt cost or the length of the scar. Any advice pls?

Mini tummy tuck to revise c-section scar

+1

If you want to revise the c-section scar, you might be able to reduce an inch or so of extra laxity without lengthening the scar.  If you extend the scar a little on each side, the more skin laxity you can take out.  At some point you will have the same length as a full tummy tuck scar depending on the amount of skin laxity you want to remove.  Liposuction and a scar revision is definitely a reasonable plan and then decide on how much laxity you want to address. 

Mini tummy tuck

+1

Usually a mini tummy tuck involves some form of liposuction,m tightening muscles in the lower abdomen and some skin excision.  I prefer a full tummy tuck because the  mini does not treat the upper abdomen.

Don't Cut Corners Because of Money Issues

+1

While I don't see a photo of your tummy with this question I will try to imagine that you have some bulging below you belly button and a C-section scar below the belt line.  You can have a great result with just liposuction and a scar revision if your skin is thick and tight and will retract adequately after the lipo.  But if you have loose skin and stretch marks in this area you will probably be happier spending more money to get the mini done and get a flatter tighter result.  Don't scrimp on the costs only to find out you should have spent more money to get the right operation!

Phillip C. Haeck, MD

Mini Tummy Tuck to Revise a C-Section Scar

+1

Without several good photos it's really not possible to guide you specifically. In general a mini/ modified tummy tuck is useful when there is modest laxity of the lower abdominal skin, fascial / muscular laxity-creating a round shaped abdomen and +/- excess fat in the mid to upper abdomen. Significant upper abdominal skin laxity would lead more toward a full/standard tummy tuck. Liposuction as a stand alone surgery is best for patients with good skin tone and primarily a problem of excess fat. Within these categories there are grey areas where perhaps more than one procedure may be advanced as a solution. If you have fairly good skin tone, no skin excision is needed, if you have modest lower abdomen skin laxity removing more skin but leaving the umbilicus alone would suffice. If you have fascial laxity then the muscles could be 'tightened' with still using a mini tummy tuck approach.  Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Liposuction and Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

If you are planning abdominal liposuction and a scar revision already then upgrading the scar revision to a mini tummy tuck is likely to provide a better result.  Before you finalize that plan, make sure you review with your surgeon the comparison of a full tummy tuck with a mini tummy tuck so that you will get the outcome you are seeking.  Make sure your plastic surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and is experienced in these procedures.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

+1

In general terms, I usually consider liposuction if a patient appears to have good skin elasticity.  If there is a lot of excess skin, then a full tummy is needed.  In order to be a good candidate for liposuction and a mini tummy tuck, you would need good skin elasticity above the belly button.  A mini tummy tuck will only remove excess skin below the belly button.

I cannot comment on your specific case without pictures or an examination.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Mini vs full tummy tuck

+1

Excellent question and one that many women struggle to have answered.  The changes that occur (to the abdomen) after pregnancy often involve muscle separation, skin laxity (stretch marks) as well as exercise resistant fat deposits.  A mini tummy tuck is ideal because of its limited scar/fast recovery but it works best for those with limited skin excess above the belly button, limited redundant skin below the belly button and minimal to no diastasis (rectus muscle separation).  The more redundant skin you have, the long the scar becomes when removing the skin. While you would like to avoid a full abdominoplasty, it is often the best choice to get you to your goal appearance in one step. Best of luck in your decision.

John Renucci, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Mini or full tummy tuck?

+1

Unfortunately, it is not possible to give you  precise advice without direct examination.

However, based on your description of your consultations,  I think you should be very careful in selecting your surgeon and the planned procedure. Do not make the selections based on minimal surgery or minimal expense considerations;  this is usually a recipe for disappointment.

In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important  for patients seeking abdominal contouring surgery to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve  their chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

+1

I understand your issues but over the internet without even a posted photo very hard to advise. Continue with in person opinions to understand these issues.