Liposuction on Same Area?

I had a traditional liposuction 5 years ago on my tummy. I want to know if I can have the traditional liposcuction again to the same area since it already has been done?

Seconadary Liposuction

+3

Nikhap,

Thanks for the question. We routinely perform liposuction in areas that have had previous procedures done. The prerequisites are generally persistent adiposity in the area combined with good skin elasticity. My preferred approach for secondary lipoplasty procedures is to use PAL (power-assisted lipoplasty) due to the underlying scarring that has occurred from the initial liposuction procedure(s). PAL allows for great control, and, in my hands, is unparalleled in results compared to any other lipoplasty approach, laser lipoplasty included.

I would recommend consulting with your plastic surgeon to determine which approach would best suit your particular case, desires, and expectations. Best of luck.

Liposcution of an area already treated

+1

Yes. It will often be more difficult for the surgeon to do because of more scarring or more collagen that was deposited in the subcutaneous compartment as a result of the healing from the prior liposuction. Some surgeons then prefer to use ultrasonic, power, or laser-assisted liposuction for this reason.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Re-do Liposuction on same area

+1

Yes. Re-do liposuction can and is routinely done.

As the diversity of responses demonstrates, we all have our favorite tools for tackling the expected scarring we encountered in a previously operated area. All such preferences are valid as they all produce good results in those hands. While some like PAL, I prefer the VASER UAL which allows sound waves to fragment the fat even around scar tissue.

I too would want to know WHY you need to have liposuction on the same area? Was not enough removed 5 years ago? Did you put on weight? Or is there another concern which MAY be addressed with another procedure such as a Tummy Tuck? I would recommend you carefully discuss this with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to ascertain that YOUR goals will be achieved by your chosen operation.

Good Luck.

Liposuction

+1

Dear Nikhap, the answer is yes, you can have liposuction more than once in the same area- as long as you are a good candidate and understand the risks of secondary liposuction.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Liposuction repeated in the same area

+1

Liposuction can be performed more than once in the same area provided the overlying skin is of good elasticity and there is sufficient fat to be removed. The risk however of developing contour irregularities (lumpy/uneven texture) of the skin is greater when liposuction is done in the same area. There is more scar tissue and it can technically be more difficult to perform. Also, the swelling tends to last longer compared to a first-time liposuction procedure.

Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon prior to a revision or secondary liposuction procedure as these cases can sometimes be difficult. There can even be irreversible contour changes of the skin which can not be corrected.

William Bruno, MD

Liposuction on the Same Area a Second Time

+1

Traditional liposuction can be performed on a previously liposuctioned area. From a technical standpoint it is much more difficult as there is lots of scar tissue in the subcutaneous plane.

To combat this I will typically use smaller cannulas as they will penetrate the scar tissue easier. Another alternative is to us ultrasonic liposuction.

Plan on the amount of time being longer as more care must be taken to prevent complications and achieve an acceptably appropriate result.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Newer techniques have come out since your 1st liposuction

+1

Liposuction can be done as often as you need it. The newer techniques with the micro canulas and being done under local anesthesia make it an easy procedure with great results and quick recovery at a cost of roughly $5000 for the tummy.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

It is possible to do liposuction again in the same area-what are your goals

+1

It is possible to do liposuction again in the same area. The important questions include what are your goals and what is the quality and elasticity of the skin. If there is residual fat and the overlying skin is good additional suction may make sense. If your plastic surgeon has concerns about the elasticity of the skin, or if abdominal wall laxity contributes to excess fullness then she/he may discuss an abdominoplasty with you.

John E. Gross, MD

If there is fat in the area it can be removed with additional liposuction

+1

Not infrequently I have repeated liposuction in an area previously treated by another plastic surgeon. If there is fat it can be removed with additional liposuction. But i wonder if what you really are concerned about is the loss skin that may be residual. If this is the case you will need a tummy tuck with or with out additional liposuction.

Carl W. "Rick" Lentz III, MD

Repeat liposuction

+1

You do not state what has happened over the last 5 years that yo now feel that you need another session of liposuction, but it certainly can be performed again in the same area. Be sure to discuss with your surgeon what you are unhappy with and what your goals and expectations may be. He/she can then let you know if that is realistic or if there are other procedures that may be of benefit.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon