How is Liposuction Done on Sagging Skin in Conjunction W/ Body Lift?

My research tells me that liposcution is commonly done in conjunction w/ body lifts, thigh lifts, etc. I also know that the ideal skin to lipo is firm. I'm having a hard time picturing how the saggy skin involved in a body lift is lipo'd, do you pull the skin taut first? The liposuction I've seen on videos etc. often looks like an almost violent procedure, is there more of a risk that saggy skin may be damaged in the process as it doesn't hold its integrity like firm skin?

Liposuction done during Body Lifting?

+1

Liposuction surgery  can be done at the same time as body lifting surgery. It is used as a tool to remove the adipose tissue judiciously after skin excision serves to tighten the area. In other words, liposuction is not useful for treating adipose tissue with overlying “sagging skin”.

Liposuction is not done as a sole treatment on saggy skin

+1

If a person has saggy skin, liposuction performed as a sole treatment, even SmartLipo with its laser tightening, would not be enough to make the saggy skin taught.  On the other hand, when abdominoplasties or thigh or arm lifts are done, once the saggin skin is tightening by removing an excess up where the scar will be place, the skiin is then tightened but some of the fat forms irregularities and needs to be thinned so that the correct contour is obtained. Liposuction also helps the plastic surgeon lift the skin but there is a risk as a result of impaired circulation and you should discuss this with your surgeon during your consultation so you are aware of the very rare, but possible, complications.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Liposuction during body lifting

+1

Liposuction is performed during bodylift surgery for specific reasons. Fat removal is often necessary in the outer thigh area and flanks to achieve the desired contour. The benefit of liposuction is that it divides attachments which prevent the skin from being lifted. Once these attachments are divided or weakened the tissue can be lifted to the desired location and the appropriate skin tension and contour can be achieved.  Sagging skin is not affected by liposuction as it is removed during the procedure.

I hope this was helpful.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Lipo during a body lift

+1

During a body lift, which consists of a tummy tuck, an outer thigh lift, and a buttock lift, i typically perform lipo to the mons pubis area and also to the outer thighs.  I generally do not liposuction the tummy skin as this can decrease vascularity of the belly skin.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon