Liposuction Risks & Complications? Laser vs Other Techniques?

Liposuction costs thousands of dollars and basically the doctors suck out the fat with a vacuum type tube, we have heard that it work pretty good and in some instant there are not, are there risks? and is the risk is higher if the liposuction is performed in certain part of the body? what about the laser technology fat reduction method like the lumislim? without the surgery it seems lot less risky,is the laser expose to skin cancer risk?

Liposuction under local anesthesia is the safest of all lipo methods and usually gives the BEST results!

+2

Tumescent liposuction under local anesthesia with the micro canulas tend to be the safest and give the best results. There is more chance of irregularities and poorer results when lipo is done with the larger canulas and under general anesthesia. When you are awake and comfortable, you can stand up and turn and be put in all the appropriate positions to see what needs to be fine tuned and get the smoothest results. Laser and ultrasound lipos can do ok but tend to be more gimmicky and have more risks associated with them. Non-surgical fat treatments tend not to be effective and a waste of money.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser, SmartLipo Complications

+1

There are always potential complications from any surgery including liposuction.  In qualified surgeons' hands, these should be minimal.  Consult with your plastic surgeon to discuss the risks involved.  Best wishes!

Brian Howard, MD
Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

+1

There are potential risks and complications with any surgery; however, in the hands of a board certified plastic surgeon, these should be greatly minimized.  I use a combination of ultrasonic liposuction and straight tumescent solution suction assisted lipectomy in my practice. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Jonathan Berman, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction devices

+1

There are many forms of liposuction devices out there, and some work and some don't. Some can have alot of complications and some do not.  I always say it is not the want but the magician waving the wand that creates all the magic.