Is Liposuction Right for Me To Contour My Abdomen? (photo)

I am 19 and weight about 200 lbs. I have a thyroid problem and I have gone to numerous doctors and nutritionists and I work out everyday. I do not hate my body nor do I want liposuction to be used as a weight loss aid. I really want to know if it could help contour my body, namely my arms and my abdomen. I don't mind the size of my abdomen just the look it has. I just want to know if liposuction would help that.

Lipo of tummy

+1

Liposuction is not a weight reducing surgery.  Rather it is a contouring procedure that only removes fatty deposits in the abdomen. A tummy tuck reduces the excess skin, fat and abdominal wall muscle tightening, trading off for a lower horizontal hip to hip scar.

However in your individual case , I would first consider weight loss and schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. Often liposuction combined with a tummy tuck is an optimal surgery for body contouring.

Naples Plastic Surgeon

Is liposuction the right choice

+1

Liposuction on your abdomen will certainly decrease the volume of fat and you are young, so the skin should shrink fairly well. I think the biggest risk with the liposuction is the potential for loose skin once you are all healed. Your body contour would be better, but there might be a trade off for it.

Julio Garcia, MD

Would liposuction be helpful?

+1

I've done abdominoplasty in 19 yr olds before when the circumstances were similar to yours, and the results have been good.  You have ample abdominal wall to support future pregnancies, and only abdominoplasty, in my opinion, will remove enough skin, fat, and permit abdominal wall tightening enough to produce the result you're seeking:  A more trim, sexy abdomen.  Of course, you would be trading your current situation for a permanent lower abdominal scar, but it should be well concealed if the procedure is accomplished by a plastic surgeon adept in abdominoplasty.  The effect on future pregnancies is unknown, but based on available data, provided you've no other reproductive issues, you should be able to carry to term.

Steve Laverson, MD

Liposuction probably not enough, tummy tuck may be needed

+1

It appears that liposuction itself may not be enough to contour your abdomen to the way your would like.  It appears that besides excess subcutaneous as well as intraabdominal fat, you also have excess skin.  The only way to get rid of the excess skin is by tummy tuck.  Therefore, I would recommend that you consider weight loss prior to surgery, and a combination of liposuction and tummy tuck.

James Tang, MD

Liposuction To Contour A Large Tummy?

+1

Thanks for the question and for including photos. Obviously you are going to get different answers from the consultants and that always confuses patients. Although I would encourage you to lose weight before any surgery, it may be that you have tried and just weren't successful. If you are willing to have the possibility of some skin surface distortion, the liposuction is definitely an easier and less expensive operation to go through. It will give you some improvement in clothes. The latest medical journal articles I have see with a good reproducible scientific approach to the study indicates very litle difference in skin tightening with laser assisted or standard liposuction. They will both make you look better in clothes. However, if you want the best chance at the best look out of clothes, I think there is no shortcut to a well done abdominoplasty. Because of your age and the likelihood of future pregnancies, I think the liposuction might be the place to start.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Is liposuction right for me?

+1

Thank you for your question and photos. You are young with good thick and elastic skin. It sounds that you are doing everything you can do without surgery. Liposuction, especially using the VASER technique will give you an excellent countour improvement with good skin tightening. Even though you do exhibit a lower abdominal small pooch, this will tighten up with liposuction. See a board certified plastic surgeon for a face to face consultation. Good luck.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Candidate?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

No, I do not think you are a good candidate for liposuction surgery. Most importantly, I do not think you will be pleased with the results of surgery;  most likely you will end up with significant skin contour irregularity and/or redundant skin.

As you know, it is in your best interest to drop weight prior to undergoing any type of body contouring surgery;  it sounds like you are already doing the right things with medical management of the thyroid problem, and a rigorous diet and exercise program. Hopefully with these  ongoing efforts  you will be able to reach your goals ( hopefully without surgical intervention).

By the way, be careful of advice that you may receive  regarding surgical and nonsurgical modalities;  it is much better to avoid costly mistakes...

Liposuction of abdomen with a thyroid condition

+1

Dear Grrly,

I assume your thyroid problem is hypothyroidism for which your endocrinologist gave you thyroid medication to take ? Hypothyroidism will make you gain weight and it can be very difficult to loose it even once on meds.

as long as your thyroid functions tests are stable on your current dosage, then it would be ok to proceed with liposuction of your abdomen and flanks ( actually your entire mid-section ). your Board-certified Plastic Surgeon should require a clearance by your endocrinologist preoperatively.

liposuction will remove a layer of fat cells under the skin but will not cut skin. I do see you have a fold of skin in your lower abdomen on your picture. Most likely this fold will still be there after your surgery, but attenuated. your flanks will be more define, and assuming you can continue to exercise and keep a healthy diet, then your results should be optimized.

later in life, once finished with children, you may consider an abdominoplasty ( tummy tuck ) to tighten the loose abdominal skin/wall.

good luck

Florence Mussat

Florence Mussat, MD

Liposuction

+1

Liposuction is not an alternative to diet and exercise.  If you go ahead to have liposuction of your abdomen, based upon your pictures and depending upon your skin elasticity, you may have loose skin hanging after the procedure.