Are Liposuction Results Permanent?

I have heard that If you gain weight it wont go to areas treated with liposuction? Also If I do liposuction in abdomen and love handles areas, where would the new fat cells grow? Thanks

Liposuction results can be permanent if you don't gain weight after.

+1

Liposuction results can be permanent if you don't gain weight after. I have many patients who I performed liposuction on 20-25 years ago who are still very happy with the results. If you gain weight however, it has to go somewhere.

Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

The myth that fat can not return to liposuctioned areas

+1

There are numerous misconceptions about liposuction and one of those is whether fat can or cannot return to body areas treated by liposuction. Since all the fat from any area can not be removed, nor would you want it to be completely removed (otherwise the skin would be scarred and tethered down to the muscle), fat can definitely 'regrow' in areas treated by liposuction. It may be a little more difficult than before but it definitely occurs. The only way a body liposuction result is 'permanent' is if your weight absolutely remains the same years later. If you gain weight, it has to go somewhere. It would definitely prefer to go to your stomach than your ankles!

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Liposuction and effect of future weight gain

+1

Liposuction permanently removes some, but not all, of the fat cells in the area treated. If weight gain occurs in the future, there is generalized weight gain in different areas. The areas in which liposuction was done has less fat cells so proportionally less new fat is deposited in that area. The new areas in which fat is deposited is generalized and some find that there is a disproportional amount deposited in some areas which vary from patient to patient.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Liposuction results

+1

Liposuction results are permanent. However, if you gain weight, you may gain weight in the regions that were previously treated.

Gaining weight after liposuction

+1

Generally speaking you will not gain weight in the areas that were liposuctioned unitl you gain more than 10-15% of your ideal body weight. Beyond that point, you will deposit fat throughought your body. Under 10-15% you will deposit fat where your genetics dictate. That means for some, they will gain weight in their thighs while others will gain it in their arms, or breasts, etc.

Liposuction Results Permanent

+1

You ask 3 questions so the answers from my perspective are: 1. No liposuction is not permanet but can lasts years. 2. No you can still gain fat in the remaining cells in the lipoed area. 3. No no new fat cells grow. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091

Liposuction is permanent if you restrict your diet.

+1

Liposuction is permanent if you restrict your diet. The only way to control your fat is by limiting your oral intake. Liosuction is useful for the fat areas which are difficult to remove by diet and exercise, but it is not a technique for weight loss. The only way to keep weight off is by stopping eating.

G. Gregory Gallico III, MD

Liposuction effects on body shape are permanent

+1

I am sure you know that liposuction is not for weight loss so no permanent effects on weight are to be expected. The idea is to target the areas of localized fat that stand out in disproportion to the rest of the body. These areas are more resistant to change with exercise and diet, because the fat cells there are different. Think of them as sort of emergency energy reserves. Reducing these areas with lipo reduces the body's ability to put fat there so the fat distribution is permanently changed. Just be sure to treat all areas that are disproportionate of the one or two untreated areas will be your body's new favorite place to put all the extra.

Richard Baxter, MD