Liposuction to Reduce Abdominal Bloating Due to Lupron?

I am still bloated after taking just one Lupron shot six months ago. I have a baseball-size swelling in my lower abdomen, which was formerly flat. I weigh only 94 pounds and it is definitely not fat. As such, can Liposuction help?

I am at my wit's end. I am seeing an endocrinologist but am starting to access whether I have any options if that doesn't help. THANKS.

Lupron and bloating

+1

Lupron is a synthetic hormone used to decrease testosterone or estrogen production. Bloating is an uncommon side effect of this medication. Bloating is an intraabdominal phenomenon not related to excess fat. Liposuction will reduce fat in the abdominal wall but not intraabdominal or visceral fat.. Bloating is not fat related. Unfortunately, liposuction will not help bloating.

Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction is NOT a cure for Lupron bloating

+1

Lupron has several indications including severe endometriosis, and Central precocious puberty and : " include hot flashes and night sweats, and less frequently palpitations, syncope, and tachycardias. Other side effects include generalized pain, headaches, vaginitis, nausea/vomiting, fluid retention, weight gain, acne, hirsutism, joint pain, loss of sexual desire, depression, dizziness, nervousness, and breast changes such as tenderness and pain. "

Liposuction is not an accepted or reasonable treatment for a "baseball-size swelling in my lower abdomen" . A better idea would be to get a CT or MRI of the area and be evaluated by a general surgeon as it is more likely to represent a hernia.

Good Luck

Figure out the cause of the bloating before undergoing liposuction

+1

I agree with Dr. Shafer's assesment and recommendations. I am not sure of the exact cause and nature of the bloating. Determining whether it is due to edema (tiisue fluid), fat, muscle weakness, hernia, visceral fat, gas, flora imbalance, etc is key to prescribing or instituting a treatment plan

Liposuction is only for fat

+1

If you have swelling that you don't think is fat then liposuctioning will not help. Perhaps you should ask your doctor to investigate the swelling with an ultrasound or CAT scan.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction for abdominal bloating

+1

Liposuction, by definition, removes fat. If your problem is bloating, then liposuction is not indicated. I suggest that you see your doctor and your plastic surgeon in consultation to see what, if any, procedure is best for you. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD