Liposuction-RecoveryTime. Is Five Days Enough Time?

My surgery (liposcution of hips/thighs/abdomen is scheduled on a Monday, and I graduate on that Friday. Will i be OK to walk the stage?

Liposuction recovery time

+2

In general five days is not enough time to recover from having three sites done.  If you are having only a minimal amount done in each of these areas it might be.  Ask your doctor.  I would not have it done 5 days before graduation.  In the event that you have a complication you may totally miss your graduation.

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Lipo recovery in 5 days?

+1

Given that important day in your life, I would not advise having the procedure. Risking a complication and potentially missing graduation could be a disaster for you and your family.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Don't Rush the Healing Period

+1

Although possible, why would you ever want to threaten such an important event like a graduation. I would strongly recommend waiting until after graduation for this procedure as you more than likely will be in a robe so will not see results, will probably have some bruising and will not want to participate in the celebrations afterwards.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Recover time for Lipo

+1

Depending upon the different areas and the amount of liposuction done on the patient, you need approximately 5 days to recover and avoid certain activities.  This should be enough time to return to a desk type job.  Submental liposuction is easily accomplished with a down time of less than 5 days and usually has a minimal amount of bruising which makes this undetectable.  To be physically active and exercise heavily, I would think a minimum of 2-3 weeks. 

Michael C. Fasching, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Risky decision of liposuction surgery just a few days before graduation

+1

Why would you schedule your surgery right before your graduation? It is not even 5 days. Sure it may be possible given the right set of factors that you would be relatively OK. However, graduation is usually considered to be a very important occasion so why would you risk possibly either not being able to attend or feeling less than excellent for the celebration? It would be wise to reschedule the surgery for right after graduation - if possible.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Liposuction Recovery Time

+1

Recovery From liposuction depends upon your baseline aerobic conditioning, the amount of fat being removed, the number of areas being liposuctioned, among other variables.  It is never wise to expect a procedure to go exactly as promised if the consequences are great if it does not.  Save your surgery for a time when you can have a more stress free recovery.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Liposuction and activity

+1

Having liposuction one weak before graduation is a bit too close.  While you more than likely will be ok, you may not.

Liposuction recovery time

+1
I would not encourage you to have surgery five days before an important event in your life, such as a graduation (congratulations!). If you aren't feeling well, why compromise such an a special moment in your life? It would be wiser to have the surgery after the graduation, particularly because you are planing to suction three areas and patients have more discomfort from thigh liposuction than from work on the abdomen, in my experience.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Lipoosuction recovery

+1

You should be able to walk in 5 days, but will need to be wearing your compression garment.  Any complication may slow you down.

David A. Lickstein, MD

Recovery from liposuction

+1

Five days after liposuction, you will likely feel well enough to drive, walk, and will start increasing your activity level.  However, keep in mind that you will still be swollen and may possibly have some bruising and some discomfort with activity.  You will also likely still be wearing your post-operative compression garment.  So yes, you will be able to "walk" at your graduation; the question for you is whether you want to if you aren't feeling 100%.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon