How Long Should I Wait for Liposuction Re-treatments?

I had a liposuction on may 2008. I wasn't happy and I've decided to get another one done, but with a different doctor. But a friend of mine said the body needs at least 10 years to recuperate from liposuction. She said to wait 10 years before getting another lipo session. Is that true? How long should I wait before getting Liposuction re-treatments?

10 years?

+1
Because each patient heals differently and some can take a bit longer than others, I would recommend waiting 6-8 months before doing another procedure. That way you'll be better healed from surgery and also be able to determine better how much residual fat there is to remove. 10 years is definitely not correct.

Repeat liposuction can be done after 6 months.

+1

Hi.

1) You see the final result after liposuction in 4 months. So a touch up can be done after that.

2) Secondary liposuction is more difficult because of internal scarring. Sometimes the contour can be improved best with a combination of touch up liposuction and fat injections.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

6 to 12 months for Liposuction re-treatment

+1

I recommend to my patient to wait 6-12 months before considering revision. Obvious deformities can be addresses sooner. Minor asymmetries may impove over longer periods.

Reza Nabavian, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

10 years does not make any sense

+1

If you think about what can and will happen over a period of 10 years it doesn't make sense to wait that long.

Generally most liposuction procedures will have reached 80-90% of the final result by 6 months but will still change some over the next 6 months. There are some cases where you can and should do a reliposuction as early as 6 months but generally it ios best to wait the full year. By then the area should be stable and the doctor can decide how best to treat the area.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon