Right Liposuction Procedure for a Younger Patient?

I'm 22 years old, 5'8" and about 205 pounds. I have tried everything but my midsection (upper and lower abs, love handles, and flanks) and upper arms just don't get any smaller. I want to go in for Liposuction and give myself a boost. I have heard about varying recovery times and results for different procedures, and I am wondering, what is the right one for me?

Liposuction may be for you........

+2
Liposuction is a very safe and effective procedure to target areas of fatty deposition when an individual is at his/her target weight.  If someone is above his/her target weight I would recommend getting as close to that target weight as possible prior to proceeding.  Clearly we can not expect everyone to be 5'5" 115 pounds and as long as you have a realistic expectation with the outcome, liposuction may be for you.

Specific to your requests, each of the areas you mention are common areas to perform the procedure.  There are various types of liposuction but they all address essentially the same area--the subcutaneous fat with varying degrees of skin tightening, though the best predictor of skin retraction will be your degree of elasticity.  Being 22, there is a good probability that your skin still has good elastic recoil.  Regarding your abdomen, there are two areas of fat--subcutaneous fat and intra-abdominal fat.  Liposuction can only address the subcutaneous fat--weight loss is the only way to reduce intra-abdominal fat.

The procedure can take anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours depending on the number of areas treated and the amount of fat removed.  The most important post operative component is appropriate compression of the area/areas that have been treated.  Most patients take anywhere from a few days to a week off of work again depending on the number of areas treated/extent of treatment.  Typically I recommend waiting 6 weeks to assess results for swelling to dissipate.

Take the time to find a board certified plastic surgeon, have an examination, review before and after photos and see if the procedure is right for you.  Good luck!

Beaumont Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction is not the healthy answer-please visit a weight loss specialist

+1

Liposuction is not a weight loss procedure, it is a contour procedure. There is a useful calculator that the National Institute of Health provides (http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/ ). It gives you a number called body mass index (BMI). If you run the numbers and it places you over 30, which is in the obese category you should pursue weight loss. For your long term health you need to exhaust all options to loose weight. Liposuction may improve your contour a bit, but it won't significantly change your weight. Liposuction does have it's rightful place, but at your age the best advice is to pursue weight loss more vigorously and then reassess.

John E. Gross, MD

You should do great with tumescent liposuction.

+1

Hi! You sound like a very good candidate for liposuction. You will still be overweight afterwards, but you will have much better shape.

Beware of gimmicks. It is not the exact machine or name of the procedure that determines the result. It is the skill and experience of the surgeon. Liposuction is sculpture. Go to a board certified plastic surgeon, and ask to see lots of before and after pictures.

The same is true of the recovery. It's all about the surgeon. Our patients in NYC go back to work or school in 4 or 5 days, they exercise in 2 weeks, and they look fine in a bathing suit in one month.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)