Liposuction Pricing

How many consultations would be the most appropriate for liposuction? I went to one place and they used my BMI to calculate the treatment cost. Is that common? I have a BMI of 24 and want liposuction of upper/lower abs and male chest (they seemed to believe that I would only need liposuction and not tissue removal here). I was quoted 4800. I have no problem paying the money but it was just so strange to have my cost be evaluated by equation with BMI before evening meeting a surgeon.

Liposuction, Costs

+2

Hi Seattle6200,

There's a wide variation in how costs are determined for procedures, and in particular with respect to liposuction.  Liposuction can include many different parts of the body, different types of anesthesia, OR costs, etc.  So it is reasonable to have a general initial fee for one area, and then smaller amounts for each additional area after that.  Whether or not the BMI is used as a starting point is a matter of personal preference, but if you have any question you should go around and see a few different physicians in your area.  You'll probably find that there is some variation, and then you'll have to decide whether you're comfortable using the price as the primary decision point, the surgeon's skill/reputation, the way the office seemed to be running, and/or any other issues and considerations.

Combining all of these factors will help you to make an informed decision.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Liposuction Pricing

+1

Each office / each surgeon's pricing varies depending on the surgeon's experience and credentials, where the surgery is performed, the type of anesthesia, etc.  I would recommend that you make sure you are comfortable with the surgeon you choose and ask to see examples of their work.  

In general, pricing depends on how much time will be needed in the operating room.

Liposuction Pricing

+1

It’s not uncommon for plastic surgeons to avoid advertising cosmetic surgery prices on their websites. There are several reasons for this practice.

Before giving a fee quote for cosmetic surgery, it’s important to know exactly what type of procedure a patient needs. This requires a consultation with a physical examination before any fee quote can be given. Presenting fees prior to consultation would be premature.

Liposuction costs vary and are dependent upon multiple factors. These include the surgeon’s fee, facility fee, anesthesia charges, location of the liposuction procedure and the type of liposuction performed. The approach to liposuction varies from physician to physician. Some surgeons use general anesthesia, some use a hospital and some use techniques that involve expensive technology. Each of these variables can affect the cost of liposuction. For this reason, liposuction fees can’t be determined until the consultation is complete.

Obtaining liposuction fee quotes on the telephone or internet can be confusing. Therefore, it’s important to meet with a physician and know exactly what he or she is talking about. When comparing fee quotes, make sure your not talking apples and oranges and that you’re getting prices for comparable procedures.

Cost is obviously important, but it’s also important to be comfortable with the surgeon’s qualifications and experience. Make sure you get all your questions answered and are comfortable with your surgeon.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Charging for liposuction

+1

As the other physicians noted, the method of charging and having not even seen this physician are extremely unusual. Personally, I would not consider this surgeon and would obtain 2 or more consults from board certified plastic surgeons who are reputable.

It is extremely common/normal to charge for liposuction based on the areas, amount of fat and time expected for the treatment. Total costs do vary among physicians.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Fee of liposuction

+1

It is quite common to charge per unit area of liposuction and then reduce additional areas.  Liposuction involes much work and although there may be a proportional amount of work related to the body fat measurement, I am not aware of surgeons charging per this or any other index other than area. If one area is exceptionally larger than average then it would be common to charge more.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Cost of Liposuction

+1
I have never heard of being quoted in this manner either?! I think that a face to face consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon is the best way to get perpective of what your specific needs are. As far as the male chest is concerned this area definitely needs the tissue removal as well as liposuction. Gynecomastia is the name for this build up of tissue. Merely using liposuction will not be the only way to alleviate this issue unless it is pre gynecomastia stage. Good Luck!

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD