Liposuction - What Type of Clothing Should I Wear Post-op?

I am scheduled to have a facelift in October along with lipo to uppper/lower abs, bra roll and hips. I plan to take off work for 2 weeks. My question is this, as I prepare for going back to work, will I need clothing that is loose fitting, i.e. larger than what I normally wear due to swelling/compression garments?

Avoid a full facelift with total body liposuction

+2

A full facelift and total body liposuction can take quite a bit of time if done thoroughly. You may wish to break this up into two procedures.

When you have liposuction, you generally will wear something baggier, like sweats for the first few days as you will be wearing garments and may have some additional foam padding underneath.

Loose fitting elastic waisted pants are best - beware of "blue plate specials!"

+2

After liposuction there will be some swelling and the compression garments under your clothes. You would be most comfortable if your clothes were slightly loose fitting and had elastic wist bands.

As an aside, it sounds to me as though you are possibly doing too much in one procedure. That is a lot for the doctor to do and if the time for the surgery is more than 5-6 hours, your risk of complications goes up rather dramatically. Be careful of these combined procedures - just because the "TV doctors" do them doesn't mean they are safe!!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Elastic band pants will be most comfortable option for the first month after liposuction

+2

You would probably be more comfortable in clothing with an elastic waist band for the first month. After two weeks your normal clothes will fit you, but you will still be more comfortable in pants with an elastic band for an additional two weeks.

Usha Rajagopal, MD

Most patients wear a light compression garment after liposuction.

+1

Most surgeons have their patients wear a light compression garment after liposuction.  It should be worn as much as possible for about 6 weeks in my opinion.

As long as you wear your compression garments, you can probably wear anything after liposuction

+1

As long as you wear your compression garments, you can probably wear anything after liposuction.  Just make sure that the clothes you put on over the compression garments aren't too tight.  Loose fitting is probably the best as it will most likely be the most comfortable over your tight compression garments.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Always use a compression garment after liposuction

+1

Liposuction is a popular and effective way to contour the body. An extremely important factor in a great result is for the patient to wear a compression garments after liposuction. This allows the body to heal and can create a smooth results. Patients who do not use compression garments are at risk for asymmetry, lumpiness, and wrinkles in the area that have been treated.

Pat Pazmino, MD

What to wear after liposuction

+1

We usually tell our patients to wear something comfortable like sweat pants or a sweat shirt (depending on the area being treated). The area being treated tends to be a little swollen, constrictive apparel would be uncomfortable to the patient. Patients are sent home with compression garments; so these should be able to fit under clothing easily.

Good Luck.e

Sofia Rubbani, MD
Manhattan Oculoplastic Surgeon

Post-op liposuction garments

+1

In terms of initial post-op, I have patients wear a confoming body garment and recommend loose old clothes to go  over them. Initially you may have liquids that come out of your incision sites that can stain your clothes.  After a few days, this should stop, and you may feel more comfortable wearing loose clothes for a few weeks.

Size reduction with liposuction seen right away.

+1

Hi.

Swelling after liposuction means that you don't see the full improvement right away.  But  most of our patients in Manhattan look smaller the next day!  So don't buy big clothing.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Wear loose fitting clothing after Liposuction

+1

After liposuction you will swell and most surgeons will put you in compressive garments for at least a few weeks. Your clothing will need to be able to fit around this increased "padding" at least for a little while. Sweats are good. :)

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon