Liposuction-possibility of saggy loose skin afterwards? (photo)

Had a consultation for lipo (stomach) but the doctor insisted on tummy tuck stated I would look better. That if I get lipo I'll look better in clothes, but my skin will be loose. Came off as he would be disappointed because a tummy tuck would do wonders for me versus liposuction of the stomach. -Age 31 -174lbs -No kids

Liposuction v Tummy Tuck

+1

There is no question that you will look better with a tummy tuck over liposuction but maybe you don't want to go through an invasive procedure like that with its associated down time. You will look better in clothes and if that is your goal have the liposuction.

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Without Tummy Tuck Will Leave Loose Skin

+1

Thank you for your question. Based only on the photograph that you supplied I agree with your plastic surgeon that liposuction alone will leave you with loose skin on your tummy. I would need to examine you to be sure but a mini tummy tuck in addition to liposuction probably will give you the best result.

If you are only concerned with the fat and your appearance when fully clothed then liposuction will certainly give you an improvement. However if you want a flat tummy, at least from your photographs you have supplied, I believe a combination mini tummy tuck and liposuction is your best option.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Liposuction and possible saggy skin afterwards

+1

Hello and thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, even with the photos it is difficult to say. It does seem as though you have some excess skin, but if the quality of the skin is good, you may be able to get a good result from liposuction alone. If you're not confident with your doctor's advice, my advice would be to see another board certified plastic surgeon in consultation, as this is really not a question that can be answered properly online.

Best of luck to you

David Cangello, MD

Liposuction-possibility of saggy loose skin afterwards?

+1

The majority of experts here chose a TT. I agree BUT ONLY IN PERSON opinions are valid in your case.///

Tummy Tuck Vs. Liposuction

+1

Without a doubt, you will not like the result after liposuction. Your photos exhibit significant skin excess above your belly button, nearly occluding it now. After liposuction, you will have a defined crease across your mid belly and no visible belly button.

I always measure the value of a procedure for any potential patient by whether or not I think they will look good enough to take a picture and show others the result. I think the value of removing the excess skin in your case is significant, and without doing so your post op photos would be less than impressive. However, you are not 'burning any bridges' by having aggressive liposuction alone, but you should enter into that knowing that an abdominoplasty may be needed as a secondary procedure to eventually make you happy.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Tumescent liposuction has replaced many tummy tuck procedures.

+1

Liposuction by the tumescent local with the smaller canulas can smooth out and tighten the tummy so well nowadays that tummy tucks aren't needed as much as they use to be. Since it is safer and good results with only 2 days downtime, liposuction is a very good choice. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

All liposuction results are dependent upon post operative skin retraction. Your surgeon is worried that you have insufficient skin elasticity to ensure a good result. He/she may be right, but you do seem to have reasonable quality skin on your photo.

You could look into VASER liposuction (which tends to result in better skin retraction) as a first stage. Your skin will not be perfectly taut afterwards, but you may be happy enough with the result. Make sure you go to an ASPS and ASAPS member with experience in the technique. There will be a possibility that skin excision at a later stage will be necessary. If that scenario is not acceptable, you are probably looking at a TT.

Paul H. Rhee, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

+1

I doubt if you will have excessively loose skin after liposuction, but the contouring would be far better with abdominoplasty. If you are not ready for that go ahead with the liposuction, and if you are not happy you can always get a TT later.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Both options to consider

+1

Liposuction and abdominoplasty are the two main surgical considerations to improve abdominal contour. Because you are relatively young and have not had pregnancies, liposuction would be preferred. However, excess weight and weight fluctuation lead to loss of skin elasticity which can result in undesirable skin irregularities with liposuction alone.

It is a judgement call and a decision that you should discuss fully with your plastic surgeon, but from your photos is does appear that abdominoplasty would be a better choice. Alternatively, careful liposuction (keeping a good superficial layer and not to aggressive), combined with some weight loss on your part may yield a satisfactory result with less risks and expense. You can always consider abdominoplasty in the future perhaps after children.

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction or Tummy Tuck

+1

Your surgeon is right. You are a perfect candidate for a tummy tuck, not liposuction. You will be wasting your money with liposuction of the abdominal area.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD