Liposuction for Pointy Chin?

I am 61and have hated my chin forever and ever. It isn't that bad but it looks pointy making my face look too long. There is a round shape in the middle. Can that be Liposuctioned? Is it painful to reduce a chin slightly? Is it a risky procedure? Thank you.

Chin Liposuction Is Not Possible

+1

It sounds like you would benefit more from a chin reduction procedure than any liposuction. In reality, the chin is not amenable to liposuction. I would suggest talking with a facial plastic surgeon experienced in chin reduction about your concerns.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant not Liposuction is better procedure to correct a pointy chin

+1

Chin liposuction is actually a misnomer. The chin is not treated with liposuction, rather this term typically refers to liposuction of the neck beneath the chin. A more accurate term is Submental (beneath the chin) Liposuction.

The chin area in front of the chin bone has very little fat and is composed mainly of the skin and numerous muscles and cannot therefore be safely treated with liposuction.

A chin implant can be placed on top of the chin bone to widen the chin and make the chin more prominent.

Specific chin implants with extensions which fit along the sides of the lower jaw bone are available and very useful for widening the chin.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Liposuction is not a good technique for fixing a pointy chin

+1

Although there are several good techniques for fixing a pointy chin, liposuction is not one of them. Your best bet is to be evaluated by a board-certified plastic surgeon who has a great deal of experience with neck surgery, liposuction, and orthognathic procedures. Your surgeon may recommend setting the chin back or shaving down a portion of the bone to help correct your pointy chin.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Pointy chin

+1

Your pointy chin is most likely from the bone. This can be burred down or a genioplasty by cutting the bone can be done to recess the chin. Liposuction only treats the fat under the chin.

Correction of chin deformity

+1

A pointy, long chin is generally not due to fatty tissue deposits, and therefore would not be improved with liposuction. Liposuction in this area is more commonly used to reshape the tissues under the chin at the upper neck and can be helpful to improve the look of a "double chin". Liposuction is also very helpful in conjunction with the facelift procedure to improve the "turkey gobbler" neck. To contour the chin itself, and to decrease the long chin deformity, it may be necessary to perform a genioplasty, in which the bone is actually cut and reset in a more aesthetically correct position. The protrusion in the middle of your chin may be due to muscle and/or bone. Surgical alteration of the muscle in this area can lead to problematic deformities, so it may be better to camouflage the issue with fillers. (I like Perlane or Juvederm Ultra Plus for this area).

Pamela B. Rosen, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction for pointy chin

+1

Your pointy chin most likely is not from fat but the muscles. If there is some fat, it can be liposuctioned and it will help. However a better solution might be a chin implant or a filler like Radiesse to make the sides of the chin look normal and that would make your face look more symmetric and less pointy.

If you feel the chin looks more pointy with certain facial expressions, it could be from a hyperactive chin muscle (mentalis). In that case Botox will work very well to get rid of that look.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon