Liposuction for Overweight Patient?

I am 24 years old, 5'3" and weigh 170 lbs. About 1.5 months ago, I weighed about 198lbs. I did the hcg diet and that was how I got to 170lbs. 4 years ago, I weighed 150lbs and my body looked waaay better than it does now so I'm considering Liposuction on my stomach.

My question is, will I get good results and what about the overall look of my body? Will everything even out or will I have flabby arms and a tight tummy?

Liposuction for the overweight patient

+3

Patients who yoyo with their weight and get repeated liposuction treatments end up with a beer belly (tight belly with fat inside the abdomen) and lumpy skin.

It is better to get a handle on what is causing the weight fluctuations.

Patients who lose 20-30 pounds of weight with a sustainable method (not a crash diet) will do more than I can ever do in surgery.

Liposuction may not be suitable

+1
Removing unwanted fat with liposuction alone can leave loose skin, especially in patients who have lost a lot of weight on their own. Loose skin will hide the results of your surgery. For this reason, it is generally advised that patients get a tummy tuck or arm lift if they've lost a lot of weight.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Liposuction

+1

if you have loose and inelastic skin with excess fat, I would prefer a tummy tuck rather than liposuction.

Christopher K. Livingston, MD

Weight loss options

+1

Liposuction works best on patients who are of relatively average weight, but who need help with a problem area, or with shedding the ten pounds they regain between diets. Liposuction modifies volume by sucking out fat, and liposuction candidates need good skin tone. Because liposuction stimulates the skin to tighten, good elasticity provides a smooth contour after fat is removed. Many times, liposuction of one area provides a good jump start for further dieting and exercise, allowing you to continue to lose weight.

You might be a candidate for Zerona. ZERONA® has been FDA cleared to reduce inches with no pain, no surgery and no downtime. Patients are losing between 3.6 to 5.5 inches and many are seeing even greater results when combined with a sensible diet and exercise program. It's the perfect way to lose stubborn body fat from: neck, love handles, arms, hips, back/bra?line, thighs, tummy/waistline and knees in this fast paced world we live in. After just six 40 minute treatments you will see inches melt away. And best of all there is no recovery or downtime so you can resume all your normal activities immediately after each treatment. We also provide you with a nutritional and exercise routine to make shedding inches even easier.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Liposuction is a contour procedure, not a weight loss procedure

+1

Liposuction is a procedure that safely removes small deposits of fat from "bulgy" areas around the body. It is most appropriately done when you are close to ideal weight and there is an area such as the outside of your thighs or the lower belly that still pooch out.

Large volume liposuction is both a more dangerous procedure to do, and probably not a great idea long term if you have difficulty obtaining or maintaining a good body weight. You will gain weight in different places after the liposuction if you continue to take in more calories than you expend.

Congratulations on your weight loss so far. Keep it up and see what is left when you at your ideal weight.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Body contouring after weight loss

+1

It is difficult to tell you what would help you but if you have excess skin, you will need it "cut out" to get the maximal improvement. If you have just excess fat, then liposuction will help or maybe you need a combination. I am President of the American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons (http://www.ASBPS.org), you may find answers there.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction for weight loss

+1

At 5'3" and 170 lbs. your BMI is 32 which still qualifies as obese. While liposuction may be done on you, the results will not be great because liposuction is a contouring / finishing procedure aimed at reducing localized fat deposits not at correcting generalized obesity.

Furthermore, for safety reasons, many states mandate a maximal removal of 5 liters of fat (5.3 quarts or 1.32 gallons) in an outpatient setting. This will not come close to removing the remaining excess of 20 pounds.

In you such a procedure would be qualified as a "debulking procedure" to help you exercise and lose more weight.

Liposuction is not for you! Loose more weight.

+1

You will save money, avoid possible loose skin, feel better, be healthier, etc. if you loose more weight the regular way--exercise and watching the foods you eat. You've done very well so far; keep it up.

Liposuction not ideal for weight loss

+1

Liposuction does not specifically tighten the skin over the areas treated. If the skin there is "loose," it can hang unattractively after liposuction surgery. I would advise if possible for you to get your weight down to a place at which you can maintain it and then consider what surgery may add.

I know this can be difficult, but it is the best solution. Liposuction is not really a weight loss procedure. It is better suited for contour adjustment.

Best Regards.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and weight issues

+1

Liposuction is not for weight loss and is inappropriate in the overweight patient. Somehow you need to get back down to that 150 number where you were happier and then see what youv'e got. More than likely your skin is already too loose for lipo and you will eventually need a tummy tuck.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS