Is Liposuction More Effective when You Are Closer to Your Desired Weight?

I'm a 28 yr old male, 5'8 245lbs. I'm more concerned with my appearance in the clothes I wear, particularly in the abdomen and flanks areas, than I am about a particualr weight My research shows that liposcution is "NOT" a weight loss tool, but I think of it as a way to jump start my weight loss efforts in regards to self esteem and overall appearance. So should I lose more weight prior to the procedure or will having the procedure now help me achieve my weight loss goals in the future?

Liposuction is more effective when you are closer to your desired weight

+3

Thank you for your question. Yes Liposuction is more effective when you are closer to your desired weight. Liposuction is not a cure for being overweight. Liposuction works best on localized deposits of diet resistant fat.

If you try to do Liposuction when you are significantly overweight you most likely will have a lot of loose skin afterwards. If you loose weight first the skin will naturally slowly tighten better as the fat is lost

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/surgical-procedures/laser-liposuction/

Weight before surgery

+1
If you are really planning on losing weight you should do so before your procedure to try to get the best result for the time and money you will be investing. If you are only going to lose a few pounds, say less than 10-15, it probably doesn't matter.
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

You should achieve your ideal weight prior to any procedures.

+1

Your research is correct.  Liposuction should not be used for weight loss.  The level of risk is higher and the results can be less than desired.  Your best option to achieve your weight loss and improve your overall appearance is a sensible diet and a daily exercise routine than allows your to lose a sustainable 1.5 lbs per week.  This gets you eating correctly, builds muscles and improves your physique while your weight drops.  This also costs you nothing.  After the weight loss,  a plastic surgeon should be able to address the final issues for your body contouring.   

Liposuction

+1

You are correct, liposuction is not a solution for being overweight. You should get down to your goal weight and then be seen by aplastic surgeon to see if you need skin excision procedures or liposuction or nothing.

+1

That's a great question and I am glad you have done so much homework. Liposuction is a great tool in the right circumstances and you are right that you should be as close as possible to a good   Height/ Weight  proportion. For you to be at or below a BMI of 130 you would need a weight of less than 190 pounds. I would not consider doing liposuction on you otherwise both for reasons of medical safety and  also because you would likely see far less change than you want from the surgery at your current weight. I am sure you can find someone who will be happy to take your money and do the surgery now, but it would not be in YOUR best interest. Lose the weight first. You will be much healthier and happier.

Liposuction is a great motivator and can be done now.

+1

Nobody usually ever gets to their ideal weight and everybody needs motivation.  That is were liposuction has been such a great procedure for so many patients.  Once they see the dramatic improvement, then they become even more motivated to further enhance the results with more dieting and exercising.  Good Luck,

David Hansen,MD

Web reference: http://www.TheBestLipoDoc.com/drdavidhansen/landing/

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction...

+1

Hello. That is absolutely correct, liposuction is not a weight loss tool. You are entering this process with a great mind frame. I tell patients that you should reach your goal weight and then move forward with your desired procedure. Best of luck.

Web reference: http://www.jaimeperemd.com

Liposuction should only be done if you are at your ideal weight.

+1

In our practice, we require that the patient is at their ideal weight.  The purpose of liposuction is to removed localized fatty deposits.  You are correct when you said it is not a tool for weight loss.