Liposuction or Monsplasty for Chubby Mons Pubis?

I have an extremely chubby mons pubis and to a lesser extent, labia majora. In a bikini, it looks like I'm packing like a 9-year-old boy. I am, and have always been of normal weight with good skin tone. Would liposuction do the trick or is something more involved like monsplasty necessary? Also, would a general plastic surgeon be a good choice of provider or are there doctors that specialize in these types of procedures?

Liposuction or Monsplasty for chubby mons pubis

+3

Dear Dundie,

From your description, there are no medical reasons for the prominence of the mons. There being no significant droopiness of the Mons, I see no reason why a monsplasty (IE narrowing and lift at the cost of permanent scarring) would be indicated in your case.

Liposuction of this areas produces good results and can be performed by the vast majority of American Society of Plastic Surgeons (www.plasticsurgery.org) members.

In your part of the country, medical hype and jive are quite common and loud. It is hard to separate true from hyperbole. Seemingly everyone, has a well paid PR agent and regardless of his/her training and credentials boasts himself as a "world expert" and has an "institute". The term "general" plastic surgeons was actually coined by other specialties whose Boards are not members of the ABMS, to falsely elevate themselves over plastic surgeons who ARE are better and more fully trained and are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) which is a member of the exclusive organization of The American Boards of Medical Specialists (ABMS).

But, even among ABPS certified plastic surgeons there are a few of us who specialize in genital cosmetic surgery. In YOUR part of the country, I would contact Gary Alter who was trained in Urology and Plastic Surgery. He could easily advise you on your choices.

Hope this was helpful.

Liposuction to reduce mons pubis fullness

+2

liposuction of the mons pubis has been very successful in my experience in reducing the fullness of the mons pubis in patients that don't have loose skin.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Liposuction or Monsplasty

+2

From your description, I’d suggest starting out with liposuction and seeing if that resolves the prominence around the mons. That area is one of those that likes to collect fat, and diet and exercise don’t seem to make a difference, making it ideal for lipo. If you’re not seeing signs of skin sagging, then chances are that the issue is caused by excess fat, and not an underlying structural issue that would require monsplasty.

The only caution I’d suggest is that liposuction is increasingly offered from medical spas and "cosmetic surgeons" with very little experience or training in the procedure. Keep in mind that liposuction is still a serious surgeon, and evaluate doctor credentials accordingly. Take the time to find a qualified plastic surgeon with experience in body sculpting using lipo, and who has the skill level needed to give you the results you want.

David N. Sayah, MD, FACS

Chubby Mons Pubis. Liposuction or Monsplasty?

+2

Hard to tell without photos or exam.  Having said that, liposuction can be a good tool to address the contour irregularity of a mons pubis.  If there is extra skin or descent of the tissue, then a monsplasty may be more appropriate.  As for the labia majora, this may also be addressed at the time of surgery.  A board certified plastic surgeon should be able to guide you through the process.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Liposuction for Chubby Mons Pubis

+2

Extra fatty tissue in the mons pubis area can be treated with liposuction alone in most patients. It is good to be of fairly stable, normal weight if possible. However, sometimes chubby mons pubis is genetic and won't change with weight. Some things to remember:

1. Expect that you will have a little longer recovery (tenderness should resolve in a couple of weeks, and bruising should as well, but you can have swelling and a hardening of the tissues for even a couple of months). This is considered normal.

2. Expect to have quite a bit of bruising. This is also normal in this area and can happen even when you are doing liposuction for the abdomen.

It doesn't sound like you need a Monsplasty. Finally, the doctor that you choose should be someone that has a lot of training and experience in liposuction. For the most part, you will find that plastic surgeons tend to use general anesthesia, and dermatologists tend to use "twilight", or conscious sedation. That decision is up to you. Everyone uses tumescent lidocaine. Again, it isn't necessarily the "type" of physician, but their experience. They should show you before and after photos, be thorough at the consultation, and have previous patients for you to call if you want to.

Jennifer Reichel, MD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction should correct the chubby pubis

+2

Excess fatty tissue over the pubis, also called the mons pubis for those who speak Latin is fairly common, and interestingly this question has become more common lately. The excess fullness can become a difficulty with clothing and a significant source of embarrassment. We have found ultrasonic liposuction, usually through a small entry site at the belly button very effective in reducing the prominence. We prefer the ultrasound because of the limited area within which to work. The area does swell however the correction is quite good. Monsplasty sounds like scaring and regret and is probably best avoided.

peterejohnsonmd

Monsplasty or Liposuction

+2

The area just above the pubic region is called the mons. This is a common area of complaint because it can be a site of extra fat. Liposuction is a good option in this area and will reduce the size. Sometimes (especially after weight loss), the mons descends and droops. In this case, as lift (or monsplasty) is indicated to lift eh mons region and remove excess skin. The scar would be similar to a c-section or sometimes the scar is only within the groin crease.

if your problem is fat, then liposuction may be all you need - keep in mind that this area gets VERY SWOLLEN after liposuction and this can last several weeks. Be prepared. If you have descent of the mons, or excess skin, you may need a monsplasty - usually combined with liposuction.

Matthew Schulman, MD

MonsPlasty/Liposuction

+2

There are several possibilities and it mainly depends on whether a slight lift of the mons would be indicated as well. Your plastic surgeon should be able to handle any of the alternatives ranging from simple liposuction (possibly even laser assisted liposculpture for this small area) to some form of liposuction and a lift which would hide the scar low in the pubic area. You should always discuss your goals and expectations with your surgeon and he/she should let you know if that is realistic. Laser assisted liposculpture (SmartLipo, Cool Lipo, Slim Lipo, etc) could be done first and if you get enough of a reduction and some tightening of the skin then you may not need the lift. But again your surgeon will recommend what would be best after examining you.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction works well for reducing excess fat from the mons area.

+1

However some patients also require a monsplasty or mons-lift in conjuction with liposuction.  I usually carry out this procedure in conjuction with an abdominoplasty.  

Leila Kasrai, MD, FRCSC

Mons Pubis fullness

+1

From your description it sounds like a Suction Assisted Lipectomy (Liposuction) is all that is needed to improve the appearance of the Mons Pubis.  In other patients with loose or redundant skin and fatty deposits a lift may be more appropriate.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD