Dog Ears, Side Rolls, and Bulge After Mini Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

I had Liposuction and mini Tummy Tuck a year ago. I now have "dog ears" at the ends of the incisions, and when I sit I get rolls on the my sides near the incisions. I spoke to my doctor about this and he has said that he would have to cut farther around to fix it. Does this seem right? Is this normal with a mini tummy tuck? I also have the buldge that I have read other women get when the upper muscles were not tightened. Is there a way to fix this without having to go through another Tummy Tuck?

This is the best way

+3

Unfortunately, you have something that happens with a mini tummy tuck in some patients. When you try to compromise with the lesser procedure in a patient who would get a better result with the full tummy tuck you have to either accept the lesser result or move on to the full procedure.

So what do you do now? You can try some liposuctioning which will probably help a little but the ultimate correction would be to convert to a full tummy tuck.

The desire to limit the surgery and the scars is very understandable but if you don't get to a point where you are satisfied with the results then you have lsot time and money.

Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Your Description Suggests You'd Benefit From A Full Abdominoplasty

+1

In the vast majority of patients who have redundant abdominal wall tissue following pregnancy, a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve an optimal result.  Unfortunately we frequently see patients who are unhappy with their results following lesser procedures.  These procedures often provide excellent results, but are occasionally used when a larger procedure would be more appropriate.  When this happens it’s not unusual for patients to request revisional surgery.

Although, it’s impossible to know what option is best for you without performing a physical examination, it would appear that you would benefit from a full abdominoplasty.  Your current complaints strongly suggest that you still have excess skin and weakened abdominal muscles.  Correction of this problem will require conversion of your current procedure to a full abdominoplasty with umbilical transposition.

It’s important that you discuss these issues with your plastic surgeon.  Your surgeon should be able to help you formulate an appropriate treatment plan that will solve your problem.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Mini or full tummy tuck?

+1

Thank you for the question.  Unfortunately you have experience some the downsides of the mini tummy tuck surgery.

Generally speaking,  the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important  for patients seeking abdominal contouring surgery to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve  their chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Dog ears

+1

You possibly needed a full tummy tuck that is why a mini- tummy tuck is often not the best option.  speak with you doctor.

Dissatisfied with mini tummy tuck: Mini tummy tuck does not mean mini incision

+1

The popularity of the mini tummy tuck results in many patients selecting this when a tummy tuck would be a better choice. A mini tummy tuck does not mean a mini incision.

"Dog Ears" and Upper Tummy Bulge after a MINI-Tummy Tuck. Solution?

+1

Regarding: "Dog Ears, Side Rolls, and Bulge After Mini Tummy Tuck and Liposuction
I had Liposuction and mini Tummy Tuck a year ago
. I now have "dog ears" at the ends of the incisions, and when I sit I get rolls on the my sides near the incisions. I spoke to my doctor about this and he has said that he would have to cut farther around to fix it. Does this seem right? Is this normal with a mini tummy tuck? I also have the buldge that I have read other women get when the upper muscles were not tightened. Is there a way to fix this without having to go through another Tummy Tuck
?"

Sorry for your predicament. Unfortunately, it sounds like you had the wrong operation.

A MINI-Tummy Tuck will not address skin excess that extends all the way to the sides (as appears to be the case with you) nor will it flatten a muscle separation above the belly button (as it sounds is the case with you as well). A Mini Tummy Tuck will remove a small amount of CENTRAL skin excess below the belly button. When a Mini Tummy Tuck is done in women whose skin excess is more generalized and goes to the sides and only the central skin excess is removed the operation leaves the side skin excess behind thereby unveiling the "Dog Ears".

As regards to the bulge, consider a 6 pack (Rectus) muscle separation which extends above the belly button. As the muscles are brought together below the belly button and are flattened, pressure is exerted on the tummy contents causing a LARGER bulge and separation in the un-repaired muscle separation above the belly button.

For these reasons, women must be careful in which Tummy Tuck operation they choose to undergo. While applicable to some, a MINI Tummy Tuck is rarely the solution for most women.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Dog ears after a tummy tuck.

+1

From your description, it sounds like you have two different issues.  For the most part, dog ears are easily removed under local anesthetic.  This is common and the fix requires a quick, outpatient procedure under local anesthetic. Yes, the scar is extended somewhat, but this is very acceptable and patients are usually very pleased with this revision. 

Regarding that bulge: if it is really due to laxity above your belly button, then a revision of your tummy tuck may be necessary.  In some instances, this means a fully tummy tuck.  Give your surgeon a call and see what he/she has to offer. Good luck.

Allan J. Parungao, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

Correction of dog ears after tummy tuck

+1

The appearance of dog ears after a tummy tuck can easily be fixed. Your best bet is to work with a board-certified plastic surgeon who is a great deal of experience with tummy tucks, liposuction and scar revision. Such a surgeon will be able to review your options with you in determining if you may benefit from a small corrective surgery to remove the extra skin or from liposuction to this area to recontour the hips and then address the extra skin.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Partial correction is possible

+1

In any tummy tuck (mini or major) there is always a chance that the outer sides will have both extra skin and fat, otherwise known as "dog ears". In attempting to address these, I usually liposuction the fullness and extend the skin resection, at the time of the initial surgery. If the patient is still dissatisfied with the lateral "dog ear", a local anesthetic procedure can be done post op.

On the other hand, the bulge you describe (I suspect above the umbilicus) does indeed represent where the diastasis recti (abdominal muscle separation) was not repaired. This situation is impossible to address without surgery.

Regrettably, many women fear the length of a tummy tuck scar and extended recovery from a full tummy tuck. My response is to show them pictures of patients operated elsewhere who had "mini" tummy tucks with "mini" results. Consider your options well and then consult your surgeon. good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD

Probably not

+1

These are some of the disadvantages of a mini-tummy tuck and it sounds like you may need to undergo a full abdominoplasty with a longer incision as your surgeon recommended, to correct them.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD