Liposuction for Reducing Midsection Fat?

I'm 29 years old, married for 2 years. I have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) which caused me to gain a lot of weight in my midsection. Losing 10 to 20 pounds will be beneficial for me, for sucessful pregnancy in the future. I've been on certain medication since 2 years ago. My body is insulin-resistant, so I've been taking Metformin. Can I go for Liposuction?

Midsection fat

+3

Fat that you can pinch is often amenable to liposuction, provided the skin is not too loose.

Fat inside the abdomen is not.

Looseness in the fascia, the tight layer below the skin, is also often a factor. This is usually not fixed until women have had their children.

An examination by a board certified plastic surgeon will quickly sort out which is which. They can also talk to you about your special anesthetic and wound healing needs, and optimizing your medical conditions.

Liposuction improves contour even if you are overweight.

+1

Hi.

Liposuction works only if the fat is under the skin (not under the muscle).  So you need a good examination.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Belly fat, Liposuction, and PCOS

+1

If you are shaped more like an "apple" than a pear, you likely store your excess fat in your middle area rather than the hips and thighs.

So long as the fat is subcutaneous (beneath the skin but not inside the abdomen, surrounding the organs), you may be a candidate for liposuction to debulk this area.

A diagnosis of polycystic ovarian disease (PCOS) may or may not be related to your fat deposition. Be sure to consult your OB-GYN about your interest in liposuction and to receive full medical clearance for any surgical procedure.

I understand Metformin is sometimes prescribed for PCOS - this medication would need to be stopped around the time of surgery to allow your blood sugar to normalize without large swings.

If you are hoping to become pregnant, you need to carefully weigh the pros and cons of any surgery now versus the timing of your pregnancy.

An abdominoplasty is NOT indicated prior to pregnancy in most cases.

Be sure to visit a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon for their professional opinion on your belly and to learn about all the risks and benefits, alternatives and expected outcomes of any procedure.

Karen M. Horton, MD