Is Liposuction Using a Micro Cannula As Effective As Options Such As Vaser or Smart Lipo? Can It Remove As Much Fat?

I've read online that the results of a micro cannula are not as dramatic. Is that likely to be true for a 29 year old female looking for liposuction on the chin / jaw area?

Liposuction and Technologic al Assist

+2

To get a great liposuction of the neck, you need to choose a great surgeon.  It is the surgeon that counts, not the technology.  95% of the worlds liposuction is done magnificently with ZERO technological assist.  IT IS THE SURGEON  THAT COUNTS, NOT THE TECHNOLOGY.   Just small cannulas work great.  Nevertheless the greatest technology is the Vaser System by Solta.  This is the Rolls Royce of technology for liposuction and does help in some areas greatly.  I am not a fan of any of the laser systems and consider them slow and inefficient.   Forget the silly technology,  choose a surgeon of great excellence and then the great surgeon can choose the technology.  My Best,  Dr C

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Smoother Liposuction results using microcannulas-Art in the hand of the beholder.

+2

Smoother liposuction results can be achieved by using microcannulas which allow a more gradual and controlled removal of fat. This improves the ability of the surgeon to achieve smoother results. Larger cannulas are associated with an increased risk of liposuction producing skin depressions and irregularities. Larger cannulas may remove fat so quickly that there is a risk of removing too much fat. It is also more difficult to precisely control the direction of a large cannula. With any attempt to make a small incremental change in the direction of a large cannula there is tendency to re-enter a pre-existing tunnel within the fat. This lack of precise control contributes to the risk of skin irregularities associated with liposuction when using large cannulas.

Norma Kassardjian, MD
Orange County Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction techniques for best results

+1

I get my best Liposuction results using thin 3mm cannulas .  I primarily use manual suction and remove small amounts of fat at a time. If a surgeon uses a large cannula which extracts large amounts quickly, this can be problematic in achieving a good result. Smooth, even results are consistently attained with:

1.  thin cannulas
  2. post operative compression for 5 continuous days with topifoam pads followed by garment only for 1 month 

Dr. Ricardo Rodriguez

Baltimore

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Chin liposuction and Ulthera - Los Angeles

+1

Results for liposuction of the chin are excellent. I often combine this procedure with Ultherapy for the neck to tighten the area. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Liposuction of the chin technology versus surgeon

+1

first thing to do is to choose a great surgeon who is experienced in this particular procedure.

When doing liposuction or liposculpture of the chin, jawline, and neck you want to ensure that you're not being too aggressive with the liposuction component and most surgeons will tend to use a smaller cannula an area of 3 mm or less in order to ensure that they do not create dimpling or uneven contours of the skin. I am a big fan of laser assisted liposuction and use it frequently and my own practice. The reality is that laser assisted liposuction such as SlimLipo allows you to more evenly and more effectively remove fat from areas where the fat volume is actually lower, such as the neck, as compared to the abdomen. The reason this is important is because overaggressive removal of fat in some areas versus others in the neck or chin can create that uneven contour. The neck has less room for error because of the thinner layer of fat. Additionally, the laser component adds skin tightening to the picture which is a very nice secondary effect from the therapy. Keep in mind this is not a laser that is used on the surface of the skin and it is not a toy. The laser is actually quite a powerful tool and should only be used by experienced hands.

Ultimately you want a great surgeon who is board certified as a Facial Plastic Surgeon or Plastic Surgeon.

traditional liposuction should do well for you but I do believe more current laser assisted technology has an edge over traditional by liposuction.

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Liposuction type matters little.  The surgeon is always the delineator that separates results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Neck liposuction

+1

There are 2 distinct areas of fatty deposits in the neck, and these are called submental and  platysmal fat. The platysma muscle separates these 2 areas of fat. Both fatty deposits must be addressed to rejuvenate the neck. Micro-cannulas and laser assisted liposuction machines cannot address sub-platysmal fat. Please see the link below for examples of fat removal in the neck in our practice with surgery.

Its not the instrument its the surgeon

+1

The biggest mistake that patients seeking plastic surgery make is believing that a particular instrument is what delivers the result.  The truth about liposuction is that it is a surgery, and requires a skilled plastic surgeon.  There are many ways to do liposuction but none have proven to be safer and more effective than tumescent liposuction.  The type of cannula used is the surgeons choice not unlike the type of brush a painter would use.  I always tell patients that Michaelangelo was not a great sculptor because he had a magic hammer and chisel.  In the same way its not the device that delivers the result its the surgeon.  Please feel free to review some the chin liposuction photos on the link below to see for yourself.

Dev Wali, MD