What Can Be Done About Liposuction Lumps?

I had Liposuction on my abdomen, flanks, and inner knees. I am 11 days post-op. I have developed some lumping. I did it because diet and exercise didn't work for me. A great deal of the swelling has gone down, about 50%. What can I do about the lumps, if anything? Thanks in advance for your answers!

Lumping After Lipo

+1

Lumping in areas after liposuction is not only normal, but it is expected.  What is happening is a lot of the fat cells that were injured, knocked off their moorings, and are just floating around have aggregated (clumped together) and are being held together by some blood and serum which have not been absorbed yet.  At this point or perhaps a few days earlier, in my practice, we would begin external ultrasound (the kind physical therapist use for sore muscles).  This converts sound energy into heat which brings blood supply to the injured, lumpy area helping take away the non-viable cells, and it also acts like a sifter of flour in the kitchen to evenly distribute the fat cells that are remaining.  Also, DMSO, a veterinary medication, does wonders here for getting rid of bruising and inflammation.  The lumps should be gone by 3 weeks given the above regiment.  I have my patients wear snug fitting garments for 14 days post op, and then no tight elastic bands around the waist for at least 6 weeks.  I use Reston foam, one piece stuck to the girdle over the abdomen for the first two weeks to decrease displacement of fat cells above and below the umbilicus.

Each plastic surgeon has his or her own techniques.  I highly recommend speaking to your plastic surgeon with regards to these lumps and following his or her advice.  Thank you for this interesting question.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Lumps soon after surgery is usually due to swelling

+1

It seems as though you have developed some swelling following your procedure. This is quite normal, especially in the flanks. Lympatic massage or deep tissue massage should greatly help you. You would be best advised to discuss your concerns with your surgeon as they can best guide you.

Sanjay Grover, MD

Massage or pre-tunneling

+1

If lumps are discovered in the early post operative period, lymphatic massage could help to make them go away. Pre-tunneling with small cannulas could also help to make lumps disappear. Best of luck!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS