Liposuction on Love Handles Taper into Abdomen? (photo)

I am signing up to get liposuction of my love handles...i am curious, i have been told that when you get liposuction of the "flanks" that it is something that is only done on your back...i am wondering is it going to make my waist look smaller? i would hope so because that is essentially what getting your love handles removed should do...but how is that the case if they only lipo the back and not your sides? thoughts?

Liposuction of Love Handles

+2

Liposuction of the love handles or the flanks or sides usually involves suctioning some of the front, the sides, and the back as well to really improve that area as there is no real distinctive transition zone between the three.

Love Handle Liposuction Contours Waist

+2
Thank you for your question and photos. Contouring liposuction of the love hndles targets the back, waist line and tapers into the abdomen.  This will give you some waist definition if you are a good candidate.  Discuss your concerns further with your surgeon to clarify your concerns. Good luck!

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

For a smaller waist you need to do lipo on the abdomen as well as the love handles.

+2

Doing lipo on the flanks(love handles) only is not usually the best way to make the waist smaller since you need to do the abdomen as well and blend the areas together to get the best results. You probably will do fine with just the back and sides done but for a little extra money you could get a much more significant improvement. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD 

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

How to best sculpt love handles?? Ask Dr Ellen

+2

Hello iljanda,

Tips on sculpting love handle to maximize the shape of your torso, abdomen and hips:

* treat the front and back, circumferentially

*  this obligates the surgeon to turn you from laying on your stomach first, than onto your back to ensure that the front, back and sides are included

*  both of these positions allow the optimal view of your problem areas, as opposed to side lying positions in which your soft tissue shifts and becomes less stable

*  when properly performed, the waist will become smaller and the lower flank/hip area sculpted proportionately- front, back and SIDES

Personally, I think it is very hard to effectively and thoroughly treat the sides from just the front or just the back which is why I use both positions.  It allows me to streamline the area.

*  Before your proceed with your surgery, be sure your terminology and expectations are clearly understood by your surgeon

Thanks for asking!  Dr Ellen

Ellen A. Mahony, MD
Westport Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction of Love Handles

+2

Your "love handles" are part of your waist with the abdomen being the rest. If you are happy with your abdomen do only your love handles. From what I see in your pictures you should get a big change and a nice result if only this area is done. The "flanks" are your love handles and include the lower back and sides (or whatever your surgeon reach while you are in surgery on your stomach).

Scott R. Brundage, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

What are love handles?

+1

Thanks for your question -

Love handles or your flanks are typically the area between your abdomen and back.  They contribute to the side part of the muffin top.  Liposuction can be an effective way to improve these areas.

The best way to figure out what will be best is to have your plastic surgeon demonstrate exactly which areas he will be targeting.  That can save you some confusion and make sure you're getting the area you want improved.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Liposuction of Love Handles..

+1

Liposuction of the love handles should be done from the front and back for optimal results. I would discuss this again with your plastic surgeon so that you both have the same expectations.

Robert Heck, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction of Back, Flanks for Male?

+1

Thank you for the question, but you will do much better spending more time with your selected plastic surgeon than online consultants. Simply discuss your goals with your plastic surgeon and confirmed that the planned procedure will help achieve your goals.  Doing so in front of a full-length mirror will be helpful. In other words, don't get too hung up on terms such as "back", "flanks” or “love handle areas”.

Best wishes with the upcoming procedure.

Liposuction love handles

+1

does not include the tummy.  You should discuss your expectations and what will be done with your surgeon.  Men in general, are told to expect revisions when they have this done with me.

Curtis Wong, MD

Flank Reduction

+1

When medical professionals say "flank" they are generally talking about the area around the kidneys on the back. However, if you're clear with your objectives with your physician, you can make sure to explain to them your exact problem areas are also on the sides and front. There is no reason they can't address all these areas at once and you can achieve the look you're going for. Best of luck! 

Cameron Rokhsar, MD