Liposuction Under Local Anesthetics Help?

Hi. I'm 5'45 feet and weigh at 133 pounds. My surgeon says he'll take out 2-2.5L of fat at most from my outer/ inner thigh and hip. Is that safe under local anesthetics? As well, do inner/outer thigh count as 2 different body parts?

Liposuction under local

+1

Liposuction can be performed under local, sedation , or general anesthesia.  While it is ok to use anyone of the methods I mentioned. I find that even under the best local, it can be uncomfortable for patients.  I find that when my patients are comfortable , I can focus on performing my best work. Also, many doctors using local do not have access to anesthesiologists to monitor their patients or donot want to incur the costs.  I prefer to use an anesthesiologist to provide sedation eventhough I also use local to provide the safest and best results that I think I can offer my patients.

Liposuction under local anesthesia is one of your options

+1
Most surgeons think of the hips, outer thighs and inner thighs as separate areas. They are commonly addressed together when necessary. The type of anesthesia used has little to do with the quality of your results. Modern small cannula techniques combined with a skillful and experienced Plastic Surgeon is your best recipe for success. Many surgeons will recommend liposuction of the scale you need, be performed in stages under local anesthesia or combine local anesthesia with an anesthesiologist titrated level of sedation to improve your comfort as well as optimize your safety for a single stage solution. Planning multiple areas and 2-3 liters of fat removal should involve a discussion about all of your options. If your surgeon is not experienced in all options then you will not be given a choice. Choosing a Royal College or American Board certified Plastic Surgeon is an important first step

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

+1

If I were the patient I would have either tumescent local infiltration + I.V. Sedation or face mask general gases or LMA. To remove 2.5 liters would take at least 3 liters of tumescence fluids. The possibility of pain is not totally eliminated if only under local as with deep sedation or facemask general. I have done lipo of ALL types for 30 years and I recommend the deeper levels of anesthesia for patient comfort. But you must be aware only boarded plastic surgeons that have fully accredited office surgery suites can offer local or sedation or general anesthesia. 

Liposuction under local anesthesia is the safest of all lipo methods and usually gives the BEST results!

+1

Trust your surgeon on how much and how many areas he can do under local anesthesia.  Just the fact that he or she is doing it under local is usually a good indicator that you've done your homework for the right lipo docs and want the best results.  Liposuction of the hips, inner thighs and outer thighs is 3 areas and easy to do in one procedure. Expect to pay a little more for the tumescent technique with micro canulas since it is more time consuming but the results are soooo... worth it!  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon