Pain, Discoloration and Indentations After Liposuction in Legs

I had a Liposuction in my legs and though it had slimmed them down, there has now been greyish discolorations, bruises and indentations from the incisions. The skin under the bandages are different in color than the rest of my leg. I can also see asymmetry and feel pain in all areas that were worked on. I did this to help boost my body image. But why are all these happening?

It's too early

+1

The full effect of liposuction will not be appreciated until about 6 months after surgery. If you have bandages on than you're still way too early to be critical of the results. There is still moderate to significant swelling, bruising etc. So continue to wear the garment as much as possible and be patient.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Patience

+1

It sounds like you are recently post op.  You must give healing time to work for you.  During this time you will have asymmetry, bruising, swelling, discolorations, lumps an bumps.  You will need to wait around 3 months to see a good result, and final results may take a year or longer.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Liposuction post-op

+1

Your concerns are normal. I assume this is early post-op. If so, be patient. The bruising will subside and the irregular swelling will more than likely even out and improve. If this is late post-op more than a few weeks, I would definitely review your results with your doctor.

Liposuction

+1

Everything you are describing is normal in the immediate postoperative period (first 3 weeks). I suggest you speak with your surgeon who can alleviate some of your concerns. Asymmetry is also normal since swelling is not symmetric. I usually tell my patients that it takes about 6 weeks for 80% of the swelling to subside and another 2-3 months for the remaining 20%. Surgery is trauma to the body and it just takes time to feel "normal" again. Good luck!

Elan B. Singer, MD

Critical question is when did you have this done...

+1

The question is how far along in your recovery you are...unfortunately, the era of Dr 90210 makes many patients think that recovery is faster than it actually is... Its not unusual for patient to see asymmetry in the first couple weeks that disappears as their recovery progresses.

I typically tell my patients that they will see 70% of the improvement after liposuction in the first month. The inner thighs often take longer than that to start looking good.

Hang in there and try not to be too critical early on in your recovery.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon