Safe to Have Liposuction Around Laparotomy Scar?

I have a 10 inch horizontal scar 2 inches above belly button, from a laparotomy procedure 16 years ago. I want to get liposuction on my stomach. Is it ok, or should the doctor avoid liposuction on the stomach? Thank you!

Liposuction with an abdominal scar

+2
  1. First, you would first want to make sure that you don't have an incisional hernia.
  2. Secondly, please understand that the problem with most scars is that there is an absence of fat which makes the scar adhere to the underlying muscle and makes the surrounding area appear fatter than it really is. In reality many scars are improved by the addition of fat to elevate the scars.

Other than this, I would see obvious contraindications to liposuction on your abdomen.

It is safe to do liposuction around an abdominal scar

+1

Liposuction can improve the contour around an old abdominal scar, and, with good technique, it is safe.

Liposuction around depressed abdominal scars

+1

Liposuction of the abdomen generally removes excess fat in a 'sheet' from the area, with feathering out around the edges.

The presence of an abdominal scar does not prohibit liposuction in the area.

However, if the scar is depressed, it is likely adherent to the underlying fascia (layer overtop of your abdominal muscles).

Often, a revision of the scar together with liposuction will achieve the best aesthetic result.

See a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon with experience in complicated liposuction situations and abdominal scars for their opinion and expertise for your specific case.