Jowl Reduction Through Liposuction for a Young Asian Woman?

I'm young, 5'55 and 115 lbs. I am not fat but have an extremely youthful face because of my big cheeks and more so of the lower part of my cheeks, which I think is the jowls. When I smile, the fat on the side makes my face look rounder than it already is (I have a round face and am thinking of jawbone reduction also). I want my jawline to be more defined and remove fat under my cheeks. Buccal fat removal might not do the trick, in my opinion. Is Liposuction at the area dangerous? Will it become unproportional?

Jowl reduction, liposuction, buccal fat pad removal

+4

I would agree with my colleagues that I am hard pressed to see what it is that bothers you that would warrant surgery. You have a beautiful Asian face. It will age well as you go through your life and burn through the fat.

You will find somebody to do surgery on you, just not the responsible doctors on RealSelf.

Jowls or jawline liposuctions best achieved with micro canulas under local anesthesia

+3

Your photo may be slightly deceiving so to give you the benefit of the doubt, if you do need liposuction of the jowls or jawline then it is best achieved using small microcanulas under local anesthesia. Cost is roughly $2500 and you are back to work in 1-2 days with almost no bruising which makeup covers easily.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Cheek Fat Reduction

+2

Although your photograph is good, it is only one view, one two dimensional image and an in person examination would be important to provide you with the best advice. Regardless, please realize that fat reduction in your attractive youthful face could quite easily transform your appearance into that of a tired, older and even sickly individual. There are risks with any procedure and you need to contemplate the risks vs. the rewards. If your procedure results in irregularities, numbness, or asymmetry, you might regret having undergone the surgery and it could be difficult to improve. See a board-certified plastic surgeon who has done many fat pad removals and facial liposuction before you agree to have the procedure. You may decide to retain your beauty as is.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Learn to appreciate your beauty

+2

I completely agree with Drs. Aldea and Placik. I think you have an extremely attrective face and don't need anything done. You don't have jowls and you have nice contours to your face. There are short and long term risks from all of the procedures you are contemplating and in my opinion, it isn't worth taking on the cost, recovery and any risk at all when you already look great.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Full face and options for cheek or jowl reduction.

+2

I would concur with Dr. Aldea's assesment from the picture you have shown. Clearly these are procedures which are more commonly performed in the Pacific Rim and considerably less so in the USA. Buccal fat extraction would reduce the fullness immediately below the ball like cheek mass but would not significantly alter the appearance of your face. I would discourage the use of liposuction in this area.

Cheek Liposuction VS Cheek Fat Pad Removal VS Jaw Bone Reduction VS DOING NOTHING

+2

A few comments - you do NOT have jowls. You have a perfect, youthful tapered look to your face and jaw. I think you are a very attractive young woman who needs NOTHING done to her.

HAD you had a round moon face look - removal of the Cheek Fat Pad of Bichat would have resulted in a tapered look (as you already have) in the near term. In the not far term it results in a pre mature aged and skeletonized look.

HAD you had jowls, liposuction, laser liposuction, Sciton SkinTyte or a various other modalities could have corrected it. Moot point. You do not have it.

Large mandible - you do have ever so slightly hypertrophied angles of the mandible. Personally, I think it is NOT worth reducing the bulk of the masseter (chewing) muscle or narrowing the bone (at the cost of scars, screws, risk of permanent lip numbness and possible poor healing of the bone or misalignment of the TMJ) for the mild degree you have.

My advice. Leave it alone. You are a pretty girl - do not mess it up.

Dr. P. Aldea

You are pretty

+1
Your facial contour does not show that you have "big cheeks and jowls". Your jawline is smooth and firm and your cheeks are proportionate. I would ask you to reconsider any surgery. If you'd like to modify your facial contours, you can try injectable fillers instead. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

The safest way of helping your issue is jaw line BOTOX

+1

Dear Ttcl

Yes, liposuction and buccal fat surgery would be extremely dangerous for you because you are beautiful and it is much more likely that surgery will harm you rather than help you. However, it is common now to use BOTOX in the masseter muscle to reduce the fullness of the jaw line. This will give you a more angular and less round look without surgery. The treatment effect lasts about 6 months.

Liposuction would not be good for jowls in a young person like you

+1

You look great now and you will need that fat there when you are 40+ years old. You can find surgeons who will do it but it would be a mistake and can leave you with irregularities.