Bruising After Liposuction on Inner Knees

I had Liposuction on my inner knees 3 months ago. The surgeon says all the bruising has gone but I'm left with a deep shadow that still looks like deep bruising in this area. Will it go away?

This should eventually go away

+2

When there is a bruise in the tissue from liposuction or some other injury, the blood cells eventually break down and their contents are absorbed by the body. There is iron in the blood that helps carry oxygen in the body. This iron can linger for many months causing a brownish stain. Eventually it goes away. Be patient!

Liposuction of the lower extremities

+1

I couldn't tell you what you are referring too withotu a formal exam. Shadows of the legs?  I am not sure what you mean.

Prolonged Bruising after Liposuction?

+1

Regarding: " Bruising After Liposuction on Inner Knees
I had Liposuction on my inner knees 3 months ago. The surgeon says all the bruising has gone but I'm left with a deep shadow that still looks like deep bruising in this area. Will it go away
?"

The bad news is that such dark pigmentation may not go away.

The bluish-purple seen with bruises is the reflection through the skin of blood under the skin. As the blood cells break down and the hemoglobin breaks down it changes colors to green-yellow pigment and then goes away. Unfortunately, in cases of severe or repeated bruising (as is seen in people with ankle vein diseases) the degraded red cells leave behind a iron compound called HEMOSIDERIN which literally tattoos the tissues. It is hard to impossible to remove.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Very rarely, there can be permanent pigmentation after liposuction.

+1

Hi.

It is not really bruising anymore. What happens very rarely after liposuction ( I have only seen this twice in twenty years in New York City) is that some of the breakdown products of blood get embedded in the skin and look dark.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Discoloration after Lipo is common

+1

Helle,

Discoloration 3 months after liposuction is not unheard of. Things you can do to hasten the resolution: massage, exercise, elevate, avoid sun exposure. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

It may take several months.

+1

Helle,

It may take several months for all of the bruising to go away. Since gravity is pulling all the fluid down, the lowest area treated often accumulates to the worst bruising. These areas can sometimes take the longest to resolve. At this point, it is best to be patient and follow up closely with your surgeon. Good luck. You may also inquire about laser or ultrasound treatment to help speed up the process.

David Shafer, MD

Liposuction bruising might be hemosiderosis

+1

Bruising can possibly lead to pigmentation changes due to the permanent presence of by-products of hemoglobin. The pigments can lodge in the tissues below the skin and create this difference in skin color.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

It should go away with time.

+1

Discoloration as you describe is not uncommon and typically gradually resolves.  Some may be residual bruise or alternatively post inflammatory hyperpigmentation which may be of a more permanent nature.  Either way, ask the surgeon and be prepared to allow an additional 3-6 months.

Michael A. Marschall, MD