Does Liposuction Increase Appetite Post-op?

I've lost fat through all sorts of diets (i.e. low-fat, zero-carb), but tend to regain it thru hunger or depression. I've read that both low-calorie dieting and fat tissue can affect our endocrine systems. If I lose fat thru liposuction, will I feel the same as after dieting (cranky and hungry)? I'm at a stable weight of 150 lbs/5'9"/male, if that helps.

Appetite after liposuction

+2

A few of my patients have noted that their appetite decreases slightly after liposuction. This is not universal, and can not be guaranteed to occur after your liposuction. It is not common for patients to mention to me that they have a larger appetite after liposuction.

Appetite after liposuction

+1
Liposuction should have no effect on your appetite. In the initial postoperative period, pain medication can dull the appetite but this is not a lasting effect.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Liposuction does not increase appetite

+1

One of the fears that patients have is that after they have terrific liposuction results, they will over-eat themselves into a state back to where they were (or worse).  Mericfully, there is not truth to that fear.

There are no data to support that people have a "weight set-point" that they revert to.  I think of liposuction as jump-starting the car, but then the patient has to keep the motor running.

Often, they are so prideful of their new body, they kick it into high-gear, working out, taking care of themselves, and personally enhancing the surgical result.

Navin K. Singh, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Appetite and liposuction

+1

Liposuction will not increase your appetite after surgery.  Appetite desire is multifactorial and will not be affected by liposuction.

Appetite after liposuction

+1

Loss of fat from liposuction is not equivalent to a hunger state. There is also no scientific evidence to suggest that appetite would increase after liposuction. Liposuction should not be used as a means of weight loss.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Liposuction increase appetite post-op

+1

No only you can increase your appetite not the surgery. There are no medical studies co relating the appetite to any type of liposuction. From MIAMI Dr. B

No correlation between Liposuction and Appetite

+1

Liposuction is a Cosmetic Surgery body contouring operation which can remove up to 10 pounds of fat in a single out-patient setting. It is not a weight reduction operation.

In my experience with many liposuction cases, I have not seen a reliable correlation between appetite suppression and the volume of fat removed with the operation. I suspect that such reports have more to do with the fact that women who have had Liposuction are much more motivated to watch what they eat and to exercise and as such they naturally may report eating less.

Dr. Aldea